Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 08:54 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

So I've been on a prepaid/wifi account. Never had a data plan. I just switched to ST&T 35.00 a month plan that comes with 1 GB data. It also has some sort of weird streaming thng that they turn on and it stays on unless you turn it off. I read the info and it doesn't sound like it does anything bad if you leave it on? IDK.

Now I freely admit I'm not good with my smartphone. Everyso often it would be trying to go out on data and I would have trouble getting it back to wifi. Sometimes I can't get a number to dial.

So I'm hoping some kind persons would be able to give me some tips about how not to waste my 1GB data. Mostly I'm a homebody and my wifi is great. I only missed having a data pllan when I was on the road.
Is there an easy way to switch back and forth or not have my data out there being used up just on or whatever? Without confusing my phone and giving me fits when I want it on wifi and it insists on using data like in the past when I didn't have data?

I have a Samsung Note 5.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 09:15 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Just be mindful of using data when out and about. Don't watch videos which is the largst consumer of data.
You should have an ATT app on your phone and you should be able to configure it to warn you when you are reaching your data cap.
You sound like someone that really shouldn't have any issues keeping it under 100.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:44 AM

I don't see any AT&T app on my phone.

I did find this #3282# code you are supposed to be able to send by phone and get a text msg about with your balance.
But when I try it this USSD thing spins and I get a no connection invalid MMI something or other message.

Under data useage I tried this with mobile data on and off, doesn't seem to matter. Should I be leaving mobile data off until I want to use data?

For that matter if I try to google something when I'm notat home will it automatically ramp out on data? Or do I have to do something?

And when I try to turn on bbluetooth with my car call audio and media audio it says its not paired and I can't seem to get it paired.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:04 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...att.myWireless

Download that.

I would leave data on full time and just monitor it for a month to see how it goes. With that app.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:58 PM

Oh good lord. My phone wouldn't make calls.

Just went through a whole thing with AT&T, factory reset, had to set up the apn, got old contacts back from some google snafu, don't understand the google save thing

can send text messages, use wifi and turn on data and got to a website so I guess thats working my phone still isn't connecting. They say I need a new phone.

ARGH!

Old 05-30-2018, 10:15 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,456,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Oh good lord. My phone wouldn't make calls.

Just went through a whole thing with AT&T, factory reset, had to set up the apn, got old contacts back from some google snafu, don't understand the google save thing

can send text messages, use wifi and turn on data and got to a website so I guess thats working my phone still isn't connecting. They say I need a new phone.

ARGH!
Can you set the phone up to not receive app updates unless on Wi-Fi, and use something like Opera Mini or some other data saving app when you're browsing web pages? I believe that Chrome has a data saving feature.

If you can still get internet on the phone, you should be able to use something like TextNow or Talkatone to make calls under a phone number they provide to you. Then at least you will have service until they can figure out what is wrong with your phone. Shouldn't take more than 30 megabytes an hour. Basically you'll have 33 hours of service a month with this method, assuming that you don't do anything else on your cell phone and you never have access to Wi-Fi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones