Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2019, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 606 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just bought a new smartphone, meizu 16th which has a 2.5d (slightly curved) screen.

Apparently, the screen hasn't got any kind of protective layer in it like gorilla glass, and since it's not a popular phone, it's impossible to find tempered glass screen protector from a good company with user's opinions online. Cheap screen protector's on aliexpress has mostly bad reviews: bubbles, not sticking, doesn't cover the whole screen.

I feel like my choice is a cheap aliexpress screen protector with an unknown quality that doesn't cover the whole screen + an envelope case, but since the phone has no gorilla glass, I'm afraid it won't be enough to protect the screen from breaking.

is there some other best protective solution?

Old 08-30-2019, 09:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sltwtr View Post
Hi, I just bought a new smartphone, meizu 16th which has a 2.5d (slightly curved) screen.

Apparently, the screen hasn't got any kind of protective layer in it like gorilla glass, and since it's not a popular phone, it's impossible to find tempered glass screen protector from a good company with user's opinions online. Cheap screen protector's on aliexpress has mostly bad reviews: bubbles, not sticking, doesn't cover the whole screen.

I feel like my choice is a cheap aliexpress screen protector with an unknown quality that doesn't cover the whole screen + an envelope case, but since the phone has no gorilla glass, I'm afraid it won't be enough to protect the screen from breaking.

is there some other best protective solution?

sltwtr - Sometimes just having "something" is better than nothing. Some of the smaller Chinese manufacturers make some really nice phones at a great price, like Meizu. Your phone appears to be a very recent model only released in the last couple of months. Some of the accessory manufacturers may not have ramped up production for it at this point. I'd buy the most protective case I could, as well as a pack of those Ali Express cheap screen protectors. You can always easily peel them off if something better comes along. In a few months, there may be a greater selection of cases and screen protectors. Most likely, your phone has Asahi Dragontrail glass which is pretty much just another brand's version of Corning Gorilla glass. Asahi makes the lens for Pentax cameras so it's no fly-by-night manufacturer. No glass screen is perfect though!

I kind of went through what you're going through with my Samsung Galaxy S8. There wasn't a shortage of accessories for the S8, but those glass screen protectors made for its curved screen, killed the sensitivity of the touch mechanism. I ended up buying a nice, protective Spigen case and got one of those liquid-applied IQ Shield screen protectors. It's not an ideal setup, but I'm a "careful person" (knock on wood!)

Good luck in your search!

Old 08-04-2021, 12:44 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I suspect there are bots afoot. Damn, they are... sorta... getting good.
3 posters all new?!?
Reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones