Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,111 times

Advertisements

Crooked real estate agents .. SURPRISE!

I'm sure you could do more (legally) but how far you pursue it would be up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 02:29 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,677,507 times
I don't have a real clear idea of what's gong on, but it seems to me that where the listing agent went wrong was offering to hold the first offer until she could submit both. This is strictly an opinion not based on any real estate knowledge, but if I was in a short sale situation I would want any offer that came through to be submitted right away so I could get on with moving on.
Maybe the agent told the owners she was holding an offer and waiting on a second and they asked her to just send in the one she had?
As far as your offer being higher, the other offer may have been lower but more concrete. Maybe it was a cash offer or had no contingencies, making it a more appealing offer.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:51 PM

11 posts, read 13,497 times
And now I see the listing is back up and listed as active! Wtf is up with these people

Old 05-13-2012, 03:10 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,278,916 times
You could report the agent to the real estate board

I would get another agent not affiliated with any of these yahoos to help you from here on out

Old 05-13-2012, 04:32 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,327 times
I would contact the seller directly..not sure what if anything can be done, but the seller should know for sure. I would not hesitate to call that other agents manager and threaten some kind of litigation unless a reasonable response has been given. It sounds totally unethical.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:56 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Did it go to contingent -- or have they just not updated their records yet. Couple of things -- they may be slow to update their records AND./OR the bank may be slow to accept the offer the seller signed. A bank wouldn't look at an offer on the week end probably. So it may not be active AGAIN...it may still be listed as active.

If the listing is active AGAIN....contact uour agent and resubmit the offer. It means the bank refused the original offer the seller accepted.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM

I understand but the offers were 1 day apart because the listing/selling agent would nit return our calls to show the house then when we finally got a hold of her she was showing the house to the other person that made the offer then she referred us to a buying agent from her office and we looked at the house the next day and put our offer in and she said she would give both of them to the seller but only gave the other offer to the seller. And I know for a fact my offer was higher than his, so the only thing I can think of is she didn't want to split the commission with our agent

Old 05-13-2012, 05:31 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnicely843 View Post
Well our agent said she talked to the broker and the broker is the one that said there is nothing that can be done since the seller signed the other offer. Thanks for all responses
Since the broker is working as a seller's agent, it is their fiduciary duty to present ALL offers - even if a house is in contract! In a short sale situation, the bank decides what price to accept. If a broker is found to have "withheld" a higher offer for the property, they could lose their license because they didn't act in the seller's best interest.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Since the broker is working as a seller's agent, it is their fiduciary duty to present ALL offers - even if a house is in contract! In a short sale situation, the bank decides what price to accept. If a broker is found to have "withheld" a higher offer for the property, they could lose their license because they didn't act in the seller's best interest.
That was what I was thinking.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM

I've been doing a little research and is it OK for me to contact the seller or the bank directly, we signed the approval and gave our agent a $500 check for earnest money deposit at the time we signed the offer. Then after she told us the bad news she 'said' we were put on the property as a back up offer. Does this mean the bank is aware of my offer? Or do they only look at mine if the first one falls through? I have the banks info and will call them tomorrow, I just want to know if I can go directly to the bank or do I have to get the seller to sign my offer for the bank to even consider it. The bank is Wells Fargo is that helps, and the payoff on the loan is 139k and our offer is 128k and the other offer is 125k, the listing is for 125k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area