Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times

Advertisements

Definitely avoid Fleming Rd. and Central Park, where Fleming ends. The neighborhood next to it, which surrounds the tennis courts is very nice, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM

128 posts, read 244,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
You must be near the fire station that's closest to Folly rd? It is pretty busy around there. I found a property for some friends sort of behind the fire station at the other end of Camp (across Ft Johnson) and within 6 months they said the fire station doesn't even register with them any more. I think it's a less busy station though.

Is the Walmart becoming a super Walmart? I thought there was a lot of opposition to that and it was stopped (at least temporarily).
Yup we are about a half mile from the Fire Department. As far as the Walmart becoming a supercenter I am going by what the employees are saying. I have noticed a food section but no dairy or frozen items yet. So time will tell.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
You must be near the fire station that's closest to Folly rd? It is pretty busy around there. I found a property for some friends sort of behind the fire station at the other end of Camp (across Ft Johnson) and within 6 months they said the fire station doesn't even register with them any more. I think it's a less busy station though.

Is the Walmart becoming a super Walmart? I thought there was a lot of opposition to that and it was stopped (at least temporarily).

They've definitely been adding more to the grocery section. Every time I go in there, the store is being shifted around.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
I've lived on James Island for almost a year now and am very happy here. Very close to downtown or the beach. The people are very friendly and it feels a bit more laid back than West Ashley or Mt Pleasant to me. I don't think the traffic is too bad overall and I commute to and from N. Charleston for work in about 20 minutes or so going over the bridges or using the JI expressway.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:25 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Definately do not move to Fleming Rd! It is one of the worst streets on James Island. Not safe to walk in the evening. James Island is a nice place , but has pockets that are very sketchy. Avoid Fleming Rd for sure, and avoid Camp and Dills Bluff on the other side of Folly. Also avoid Sol Legare. As mentioned, some areas of Central Park are also sketchy. There have been several murders in these locations through the years. Yes, people were killed. There is a brand new neighborhood off Fleming Rd, but to me, it is too close to the hood.
There are more burglaries, and thefts on the island because of the economy, as in all of the U.S.

Most of James Island is very nice, and the people are nice. The location is great between the beach and downtown.
Harbor View area is very nice, and there are a few "uppity" people on James island too (try the Charleston Country Club off Maybank) hehe

Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,765,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
Definitely avoid Fleming Rd. and Central Park, where Fleming ends. The neighborhood next to it, which surrounds the tennis courts is very nice, though.
I guess I should clarify my post....there are many, many more nice areas on James Island too, but I would stay away from the area around Fleming Rd., Honey Hill (off Ft. Johnson), and some others mentioned in Coastalbum's post above. If you are looking at homes and find one you like, you might want to ask one of us about the area surrounding it first.

I would recommend: Bayview Farms, Stiles Point Plantation, any of the neighborhoods off of Harborview Rd. between Ellis Creek and Ft. Johnson Rd., Clearview Subdivision, Harbor Woods, Harbor Woods II, Parrot Creek, Ft. Johnson Estates, Country Club Estates, etc. James Island is a very family-oriented community and the town seems to revolve around school and rec center activities: baseball, football, basketball, tennis, etc. James Island also has many churches, shopping, movies, roller skating, Splash Zone (water park), James Island County Park (has something for everyone!), Ready Set Jump, and is 10 minutes to Folly Beach. And...they have wonderful schools!!! I happen to teach at one of them!

Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
The Wappoo Creek River side of Maybank Highway on James Island is nice. I lived there for 4 years. I was close to everything. I was a stone's throw from Earth Fare in West AShley; Piggly Wiggly, a coffee place; and a Dollar Store and Restaurants were on the other side of Maybank Highway - a couple minutes walk away. It wasn't cheap though.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalbum View Post
Definately do not move to Fleming Rd! It is one of the worst streets on James Island. Not safe to walk in the evening...There have been several murders in these locations through the years. Yes, people were killed.
And the OP's major concern is living too close to uppity people? LOL

Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 AM

167 posts, read 315,585 times
Fleming close to Maybank Hwy. is no good.
EME Apartments off Central Park Rd. is no good.
Sol Legare Rd. is no good.
Grimball Rd. (Ext.) is crap too but just certain houses/sections.
Greenhill Rd. near Dills Bluff is no good.
Ben Rd. near Dills Bluff off Ft. Johnson is no good also.

I don't enjoy delivering pizza to any of these areas, and generally roll in with my roof sign unlit and doors locked. I try to locate the house/apartment as quickly as possible, leave the headlights on aimed at the residence & lock the car. Deliver the pizza and return to the car and lock doors and leave quickly. Head on a swivel at all times - spotlight beam in hand at night. Sometimes we will send two cars if it is particularly late and we have the staff to do it. Just sucks - can't wait to find a better job. Anyone hiring?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Cape Fisherman: I laughed hard at your post! But, we want to keep the OP from being a victim of crime , right?

CrusherCountry:
Thank you for your tips on all the locations you deliver too. You know the area well. It sounds like you are being as safe as you can and using very good tactics with what you have. Hang in there, look at the city of Charleston jobs if you can or other cities.

SC Beaches:
Thank you for your insight for the OP of the island. You named all the nice neighborhoods! I would love to live in Stiles Point Plantation, but we have to tell him , these neigborhoods are very $$$$!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area