Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,446 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are originally from North/South Carolina and we have been living out West for about 5 years. We are in our early 20's. We have lived in a few places along the west coast, including Los Angeles, Portland, San Francisco, and have rented a few places scattered along the west coast on the beach itself.

We are looking to find a stick-built home for ourselves on the coast. We don't have any kids except for our cats and dogs, and we don't plan on having any. We have been considering a few small southern North Carolina beach cities like Oak Island, Ocean Island, Sunset Beach, and Holden Beach. We are also open to Kure Beach, Carolina Beach, and Wrightsville. Nags head isn't out of the question either. We just don't know much about similar beaches that are undoubtably available in South Carolina. We just don't know much about South Carolina beaches since most of our lives we grew up on the coasts of North Carolina.

We are pretty easy-going and don't go out to party at bars, but we would like to live somewhere that we have a chance to meet other young people to become friends and network with, dine out and have an occasional cocktail without being the only people under 60. I only say this, because I mentioned to my Step-dad, who lives in Holden Beach, NC- that I was considering moving back, and he says we will stick out like a sore thumb, and that most the residents there are old retired folks. Nothing against old folks, just don't want to be too out of place.

I am a web-developer and she is a writer, so we work from home and can work anywhere in the world with an internet connection. We have an an annual income of around $107,500 so we can afford/would like to spend somewhere around 400-500k We want a place where we can live comfortably on the ocean and still have access to entertainment and recreation, and an organic grocery/market.

We aren't looking to live anywhere without a view of the ocean, so Charleston city proper isn't exactly what we are looking for.

Anyway, all suggestions are welcome, we are looking to settle down back home near our families and it's important to us to live on the beach itself somewhere in North or South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 05:41 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
I believe you're going to be incredibly pressed to find anything on the beach for that anywhere around Charleston.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,446 times
I was looking and saw a few places in/near isle of palms around this price range. We can afford more... up to 600k if necessary. It seems like a 2nd-3rd row house on average was around the 400k range from what I've seen so far looking on real estate websites.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
I believe we have some actual agents that are on the forums, I'll let them answer. I know what some of the homes have sold for around me in Park West (500k ish) and we are 15 mins away from the beach.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:31 AM

9 posts, read 33,039 times
Hi GoingBackEast! I am one of those real estate agents IsNull mentioned. You are right, you can get a house on Isle of Palms for under $600,000 - Folly Beach too! Unfortunately those with a view on IOP will start at $2M and go up from there, Folly - $1M. However, because both are barrier islands, it's usually only a quick walk to the beach from anywhere on the islands. Both have little 'town centers' with restaurants and shops that are walking or biking distance. The closest organic grocery is going to be about 15 minutes away, but most regular grocery stores in town carry a great selection of organic items. Also, I think you'll find the age ranges in both of these places to be totally random, though most people on the island in their early 20s will likely be renters. Anyway, I hope that helps somewhat!! Have a great weekend.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:26 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,830 times
We just moved from wrightsville beach to Daniel Island 7 months ago. Unfortunately, the only waterfront in Wrightsville Beach you will get for under $600k is a 1-2 bedroom condo. A single family will run well over $1M - $2M. Even along the waterways, $600k would not be possible around Wrightsville. Should you head more north towards Holden you will not be happy socially. Kure beach or Carolina beach...very different type of place..kind of depends on who you are or what you like. Very touristy. A bit less expensive but you probably couldn't find anything there for that price either. There are "waterway" VIEWS that you could get for $600's in the Wrightsville Beach area. Unless it is quite an out of the way location, I can't think of too many places that oceanfront would be less than $1M.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
IOP and Folly are possible, just not ocean view in that price range. Those are lot prices on IOP and Folly if it's ocean view. But a couple blocks off the beach on IOP and Folly and you'll find some terrific homes in that range. Edisto Beach would be much more likely in that price range for ocean view, but understand that with Edisto you're going to be much farther out from downtown and many amenities.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,755 times
no way you'll get on the water in a SFH for under 1 million.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:28 PM

547 posts, read 1,196,755 times
you could maybe find a lot for 600k but then there's the house issue....

Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,959,320 times
The Charleston housing market is not suffering like the Florida housing market. You might look there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area