Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times

Advertisements

Most know I live here in Charleston, but I own a duplex in Greenville. One of the units I manage on my own since the tenants are very low key. The other unit, I had a property management company managing it because it was a brand-new tenant and I wanted to get a feel for how they paid on time and treated the property. Well, I've been EXTREMELY unhappy with how this company has been handling the unit. All they do is collect the check it seems like. If an issue arises, I'm the one who has to find a contractor. There's also been countless other issues. Point being, what would you do in my shoes if you had a NEW tenant who you were still feeling out? Would you manage the unit on your own or pay a fee for a company to do it? My main concern is if this person ever has to be evicted, how that process would be (He does have a big security deposit down though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM

870 posts, read 1,678,957 times
We owned a condo in Florida and had to evict our tenant. Tried to sue for the 7 months rent he never paid, property he stole, etc etc. I did a lot of research on landlord vs. tenant and rights of both parties but I don't know too much about property management vs. tenant (other than being a tenant). I do know they are responsible for assessing risks, facilities management, financial and marketing. It doesn't sound like they are upholding their end of the agreement. Do you have a contract that states their responsibilities? Unfortunately, we had two properties we rented..both times turned out bad. I personally don't want to be the hands on landlord anymore..it's all in what you have time and patience for.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 PM

My husband LOVES property management, but I could care less for it. I see it as all the risks involved but he views it as all the income and equity you can make. We are making a $350 profit a month and will have the home paid off in 14 years. But, we do plan on selling this one in about 7 years. I'm not going to bad mouth the property management company, but I threatened to leave them based on breach of contract a few weeks ago and they begged me to give them another chance. Well, today I found out (by my new tenant) that the company had lied to me about something and that was the last straw. So far, this tenant has paid on time and has lived there since February and has a good job, so I don't foresee anything bad happening, but you never know. One good thing is that my parents live in Greenville and agreed to do the quarterly inspections on the home.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 PM

It sounds like you've got enough knowledge to handle it on your own. Chances are, if your tenant has paid on time thus far, then he/she will continue to. You have your parents in case of an emergency. I would just line up plumbers, locksmiths, etc. In case you need their services. If someone I had business dealings with lied to me, then I would lose all trust and end my business dealings immediately.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Help again...

What to do if the company does not return our emails or phone calls in regards to returning the tenant's security deposit? Stupid question, I know. But I cannot believe an actual business is treating us like this. They still have the keys to the house as well. We wrote several emails over the course of two days and called several times and left voicemails.

Can we get the police involved? I need something to throw at them in case they seriously think they can get away with this behavior.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
Show up at their door...

Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Show up at their door...
I'd rather have the police show up at their door. I'm not driving 4 hours to confront these jerks. The security deposit is huge...that's what I'm really concerned about. This cannot be legal.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 AM

I don't think police can get involved unless you have sone kind of summons. Not answering the phone or returning calls will not get the reaction of the police. I would show up at the door yourself (with cell video in hand).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area