Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:34 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times

Advertisements

I can't find anything definitive in Google, and Harris Teeter only says that it will be "at least a year" before they build the Harris Teeter at Carnes Crossroads and The Ponds in Summerville, and 2014 before the one is built on Johns Island.

Since Carnes Crossroads development has been in the works since @ 2008, I'm wondering if anyone has updates. Will it be another 5 years before any commercial goes in there?

I also can't find anything on the 50-bed "community hospital" that Roper was supposed to build there. I think they had 5 years to do so. Has the 5 year mark come and gone?

Also, anyone know what the timeframe is the for homes? I know the info. center was supposed to be finished in January 2013, and they show a picture of it on their website. What about the homes?

If it's awhile before any commercial is built, is there a grocery and pharmacy nearby? What about other shopping and restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
HT is in discussions to be sold. Two potential buyers are tlaking with them.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:57 PM

The whole company? Ah... no wonder the delay. That's too bad.

So excited to see Carnes Crossroads come to life. Seems like it's going to be a great development. The info. center (from the outside) is adorable - I'd like to live in it!

Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I really hope this doesn't happen either. I love Teeter and it won't be the same if another company takes them over. Best groceries, selection, customer service... and you really can't beat their sales paired with coupons.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Interesting! I found either Kroger or publix may buy... Love Kroger!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Just found the info. on the hospital. It was just approved via court decision allowing it after Trident put up a fight, and design process is beginning, so it will likely be some time before it's built - my guess is at least a year. Others may have better info.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,540 times
I wouldn't be surprised if Kroger purchased them. The Kroger corporation already owns quite a several Harris Teeter stores in other areas. I like Kroger grocery stores, but I love Harris Teeter.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Probably Publix, they were buying everything up in FL, but I love publix .

Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,549 times
I kinda hope new owners will infuse some new life into HT. I've been shopping the one at Belle Hall since 2003, since it's the most convenient, right around the corner store. I've seen a steady decline in product and customer service over the years, with the last few years being really striking.

I won't buy their meat - the last 3 times I did I got it home, into the fridge and when I pulled it out for dinner, it had gone bad. And I won't buy their deli meats, because the deli workers don't know how to slice/package meats and cheese. It comes home all balled up in the bag, with uneven slices. Can't believe Boar's Head puts up with that.

I think their general selection of product has gone down. I still shop there for the small stuff, but Publix has become my #1. The meat selection is fabulous - their Greenwise steaks are better than some I've had in restaurants, produce is good, and their bakery breads are just plain yummy.

It would be neat to have Kroger here - if they do buy HT, I wonder if they'll change the name?

Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
It would be neat to have Kroger here - if they do buy HT, I wonder if they'll change the name?
The Kroger Company has kept the names of regional chains it has acquired over the years. If they acquired Harris Teeter, I would assume they would keep the name for familiarity reasons. In the Carolinas, Harris Teeter seems to be held on a higher tier than Kroger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area