Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,734 times

Advertisements

This is my very first blog, so please bare with me. I read through most of the previous posts and I found a lot of info. I am a native New Yorker. I grew up on Long Island but over the past few years I have realized that this isn't the place I want to be for much longer; too busy, too pushy, too pricey. I'm a teacher and I make a fantastic salary teaching on Long Island, comparatively, but money isn't everything. I'm looking for somewhere I can call home for the next 30 years that has a better quality of life. I'm really interested in moving somewhere south of NY, north of Georgia, and along the coast. Ideally, I'd like to live within a 30 minute drive of a beach and a city. I'm a single 28 year old woman so someplace safe, with culture, and a fun vibe would be great. I've been looking into Charleston, Baltimore, and Virginia Beach. Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 02:52 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Having grown up in Maryland, and spending many summers in VA Beach and Baltimore, I can tell you that Charleston beats them both hands down. However, Baltimore probably has a higher pay scale for teachers than Charleston, depending on which route you pursue, i.e. private, public, collegiate, etc. Finding you someplace locally that's within 30 minutes of the beach isn't that hard, it'll just depend on what lifestyle you'll be able to afford with the pay cut.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:30 PM

163 posts, read 664,615 times
Never been to Baltimore, but I agree with DJ that Charleston easily beats VA Beach in the safety, culture, and "fun vibe" departments. I went to college in Charleston and now live about an hour from VB. VB is definitely more busy and pricey than Charleston. Although there are expensive places in the Charleston area, you can find affordable places within 30 minutes of beaches and downtown. By contrast, anywhere in VB (or within reasonable driving distance) is going to cost you as much as the most desirable areas in Charleston. I can tell you that VB has great schools, but Charleston has its share, too.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
My suggestion is to visit. Check out Air Trans & Continental flights out of La Guardia.
You can get here pretty cheap & spend three days looking around. I think you will like what you find.

Which school are you in on the Island & how many years do you have vested?
jim

Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 AM

36 posts, read 86,719 times
I am also from NYC. I have been living in SC for 10 years and I really like it. I am also a Teacher. I think you should try the Charleston County School District, if you are willing to teach mostly minority students, then you will find plenty of opportunity here. Not that all the schools here are minority laden, it is quicker to work at schools that are labeled "minority" or "less desirable". I have had a wonderful time teaching at those type of schools.
Nevertheless, you will love Charleston, it is very rich with culture, beauty and charm. The nightlife is pretty good too. Good Luck.

Last edited by I*love*D*Peninsula; 07-24-2008 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,814 times
That is refreshing to hear. Welcome, teachers like you are needed & appreciated!
jim

Old 07-24-2008, 04:43 PM

36 posts, read 86,719 times
If you are referring to me Jim, Thanks. I absolutely love what I do!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 13,749 times
Default NYer relocating to Charleston

Hi Zen210!

I realize your post is years old, but I can't help but wonder whether you had any success with your relocation to Charleston... I am relocating from NY as well. I am not a teacher, but just wanted to see what your thoughts were in hindsight (if you actually made the move). I am a single 28 year old professional and just want to get as much advice as possible before making my move. Doing a lof of research with regards to jobs and it's a tough market (I am an HR manager within a major medical center in NYC).

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best,
Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: