Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 03:31 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in my new job, JOB, that there are allot of people that simply just work for the check. I asked if they have any goals to move up in the company, and 99% said no.
I asked, well what career path would you like. And to be honest, none really had any ideas of careers.
So, in the Charleston area, what are some good example of career based organizations you hear about, and their general path up the ladder of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
To me a career is an industry that I work in and my personal aspirations within that industry. A job is simply me working toward that goal with a company. I can have a career working with one company my whole life, or move between multiple companies as I try to meet my personal goals.

For example, I may want to be a director or CIO by age 60, successfully manage and implement my vision and retire early at 65. I can get there through one company or moving around. The norm years ago was you could climb the ladder internally, but the labor market has shifted such that moving out to move up has become more of the norm.

Something my father told me a long time ago, job security isn't about working for one company you're whole life. Job security is about being able get a job you want when you want it.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I have noticed in my new job, JOB, that there are allot of people that simply just work for the check. I asked if they have any goals to move up in the company, and 99% said no.
I asked, well what career path would you like. And to be honest, none really had any ideas of careers.
So, in the Charleston area, what are some good example of career based organizations you hear about, and their general path up the ladder of success.
We've relocated for my husband to get his biggest jumps on the career ladder. He hasn't had to advance in his degree but I think experience, education, and networking are the best bet for upward movement. He's been with the same company for 16 years and it is a company that has offices world wide. He's also willing to travel and go above beyond. For the most part....he LOVES his job. He is on target with all his career goals, even met some before he planned. He has the best work/home balance. He works for a defense contractor.

I also don't think there is anything wrong with being content with bringing home a paycheck, as long as you are living within your means and not receiving gov. suppliments. Not everyone wants additional responsibility. I'm a stay-at-home-mom but if I were return to work, I'd be fine with just bringing home a check without having an over-the-top work commitment (even if it wasn't using my degree). I'd give me all at whatever position, however.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,080 times
I was promoted twice in two years before to an IT Director. Moving here, I wanted nothing like that. I'm coasting for a while and enjoying life. Advancement is not always worth it.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
Not everyone can be the CEO. Nothing would get done, if that were the case.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
For example, I may want to be a director or CIO by age 60, successfully manage and implement my vision and retire early at 65.
Never thought "retire early" meant in my 60's!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
For those of us born after 1960 I believe the full retirement age is 67. At 65 you get 86.7%.

This of course is SS... which is.. well... you know...

Full Retirement Age: If You Were Born In 1960 Or Later

Old 11-01-2013, 10:27 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
To me a career is an industry that I work in and my personal aspirations within that industry. A job is simply me working toward that goal with a company. I can have a career working with one company my whole life, or move between multiple companies as I try to meet my personal goals.

For example, I may want to be a director or CIO by age 60, successfully manage and implement my vision and retire early at 65. I can get there through one company or moving around. The norm years ago was you could climb the ladder internally, but the labor market has shifted such that moving out to move up has become more of the norm.

Something my father told me a long time ago, job security isn't about working for one company you're whole life. Job security is about being able get a job you want when you want it.
I agree with a lot of what isnull said. Another caution I look at is titles......an IT Director is vastly different depending on the company's size and complexity. Same can be said for a CEO, CFO, CIO, CRO, etc......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area