Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 11:14 AM

29 posts, read 66,684 times

Advertisements

I reached out to a mortgage broker this week regarding our (hopefully) move to SC from PA. She told me that because we dont have employment yet, we will not be able to get a mortgage. Has anyone else been told this. I have never moved out of state before, so Im not sure if this is the norm. We are looking to get an FHA loan.

We are a family of 6 with 2 dogs and 3 cats, so the idea of renting isn't very promising. We thought it would make sense to secure the mortgage first, but maybe the actual approval must come after securing employment. any thoughts???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,360 times
Unless it's a cash purchase, no bank will underwrite a mortgage without secure employment. I haven't worked in mortgages for awhile but from everything I've read, they are more strict now than before so I can't imagine the employment requirement has changed.

Are you planning to move out of state without a job lined up in SC?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Always best to rent first.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:37 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
A banks position is that they don't want to loan without an income in place. You can overcome this however with a job letter. This needs to be on letterhead from the place of employment, stating start date and the salary you are going to be paid.

If you can get this letter, then they will certainly use that letter as consideration of employment.

Last edited by WiseManOnceSaid; 04-10-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 AM

29 posts, read 66,684 times
We weren't looking to get a hard letter of approval. Just looking more for a check-up, if you will of any issues we may need to work on as we get closer to the real deal. She really didn't seem eager to do this, and actually wouldn't even look at our credit. We have only purchased two homes, but both times the mortgage people we dealt with were more than happy to discuss our scenario, go over different options, and the like. We certainly wouldn't actually uproot our whole lives and family without employment in place. I suppose I was just looking more for someone who would offer different options when the time comes, and to get advice regarding the whole "mortgage in a new state" thing, since we haven't gone trough this before.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM

38 posts, read 62,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou-loulane View Post
We weren't looking to get a hard letter of approval. Just looking more for a check-up, if you will of any issues we may need to work on as we get closer to the real deal. She really didn't seem eager to do this, and actually wouldn't even look at our credit. We have only purchased two homes, but both times the mortgage people we dealt with were more than happy to discuss our scenario, go over different options, and the like. We certainly wouldn't actually uproot our whole lives and family without employment in place. I suppose I was just looking more for someone who would offer different options when the time comes, and to get advice regarding the whole "mortgage in a new state" thing, since we haven't gone trough this before.

I just secured my mortgage for my SC home this past week, moving from PA next month. Same rules, regulations, etc.. apply in either state. You won't find any difference, at least I didn't.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
The OP does not have a job in the area yet. No bank anywhere will even look at you until you have confirmed employment....then yes you can use a letter.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:45 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The OP does not have a job in the area yet. No bank anywhere will even look at you until you have confirmed employment....then yes you can use a letter.
Agreed Moneill, it's tough to find a lender that's willing to pull your credit for the sake of pulling it, and this is a good thing for your sake, as inquiries can lead to lowering your credit score. I feel that most loan/mortgage pros can ask the right questions for your circumstance to be able to guide you without pulling your credit.

There's other options too, if you really want to see where you stand mortgage wise, an easy way would be to go to lending tree or a bank website like Bank of America, submit an application and wait for their call. Just keep in mind that by doing so, you will be putting inquiries on your credit which may or may not be detrimental to your credit situation.

Lending practices are so much better now than they were in 2006, there's far less room for greed and law-stretching to take place, and many more stricter guidelines that protect you as the consumer.

If a certain loan officer rubbed you the wrong way or wouldn't answer questions to your satisfaction, I would recommend getting a second opinion (and a third!)

Old 04-10-2014, 05:50 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
Gone are the days when you could walk into a bank with just a high credit rating and get a loan. These days it helps if you're related to God but having some steady source of income is a must.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 AM

155 posts, read 248,769 times
And how does it work for new immigrants ?
We are en european family (50 yo) we will arrive in sc next august on a green card basis and we want to buy an home asap.
I guess we will not work immediatly, we want have a kind of sabbatical year (we are quite whealty).
And we have some income in europe (landlord, and a retired income).
i could pay cash, but if I would get a loan ? Without credit history (except for a gold amexco since 1991) ?
And if would make a down payment 50% ?
thanks for tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area