Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2014, 07:48 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

This will be my first time being summoned for jury duty.

It's on 212 Deming Way in Summerville and looks pretty easy to find....off 78.

I've always heard people talk about going and it seemed like most never got chosen to actually be on a jury and were sent home, but you never know.

I'm thinking you go and sign in and they might ask you some questions and then you wait around. If no need for you, they send you home. That about sum it up?

If you went, how long did you end up sitting around? Business casual attire or dress up?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2014, 10:48 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
I went probably in 2007. It's a mix of folks who really don't want to be there and the process can take half an hour or a whole day. In my case I wore slacks and a button up but there were people there in shorts and a T-shirt. I was there for around 3 hours and the released from duty.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I went probably in 2007. It's a mix of folks who really don't want to be there and the process can take half an hour or a whole day. In my case I wore slacks and a button up but there were people there in shorts and a T-shirt. I was there for around 3 hours and the released from duty.
Thanks....good to know.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 AM

If anyone should even have to go, I will tell of my experience.

The magistrates office is off of Hwy. 78.

I was there at the front door 15 minutes early but a little late getting to the jury room because of the security. It was pouring down rain and inside the door they had a security check, much like what you'd do at the airport except for removing your shoes. You had to remove your jewelry, belt or anything metal. Those with umbrellas had to leave them in the corner of the room by security so there was a stack of like 50 umbrellas thrown in the corner. lol

Lady in front of me was a lawyer and she said she had never seen the security as strict like this so maybe that was from some heightened security alert.

No electronic devices allowed in the bldg....no cell phones, no tablets, etc.

Went upstairs to court room, and gave lady my name to check in. All the jury people were told to sit and wait. There were maybe 18 of us. I believe if case went to court, there would be 6 jurors and each side could dismiss 6 jurors each.

Judge was in the next room coming in every so often to give us the status on the case. She said they were close to resolving and we kind of low-keyed clapped.

After about 1/2 hour, Judge came in to tell us case was finally resolved and we could go home. She offered to answer any questions we had. I believe we get like 25.00 for just showing up. Judge said we could get summoned again because we didn't actually hear a case but we didn't have to show back up for this summons. Yay.

The case we had was a Citadel Cadet that received a DUI. Judge said his parents were there and his family had hired 2 good lawyers to represent him. The mom was in tears crying about the situation.

Judge said he took a lesser sentence and his DUI won't get reported on his criminal record but it will appear on his driving record.

Judge seemed to think that if the case had gone to jury that we might would have put him in handcuffs and off to jail because she had viewed the video. She also thinks there is a high possibility he could get kicked out of the Citadel.

It was an interesting experience and my first time going so thought if anyone should do a search about local jury duty and what goes on, I'd share my experience.

Attire: Definitely business casual. No shorts, tank tops, flip flops allowed.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 09-29-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: