Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 02:58 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,708 times

Advertisements

The average Southern citizen is neither a redneck nor Territorial ,but will often joke with those from regions beyond the mason-Dixon and call them "a Yankee" . This is usually done in a lighthearted manner and means no harm! How ever the term Damn Yankee,is usually reserved for those that have irritated one.
Southerners also do realize that We are often stereotyped by the media and by most outsiders as slow, dim-witted, racist, hillbilly, backwards, and even as Elitist. They envision us as everything from Tara dwelling aristocrats in white suits ...to being shoeless, and living in dilapidated plantation homes.We realize that these romanticised versions of the Moonlight and Magnolia mystic that what is conjured up most often in the minds of those who have never visited the south. Most are often surprised at the rich diverse tapestry of the region when they do visit. Bewildered at the thriving metropolitan cities as Atlanta an Charlotte, Astonished that the Appalachian region has modern amenities and even great institutions of higher education, They quickly learn that there is much more to the South than was thought.
This Moonlight and Magnolia mystic is why we see so many people from all over the country ,who while never setting foot on southern soil ,desire to live in the South in their own utopia.

Also outsiders must remember that along with our rich heritage comes a perchance to be slightly distrusting of outsides until we have judged them individually. We will always be cordial to your face,but will reserve the right to discern your intentions. Carpetbaggers syndrome takes a while to overcome,so don't tell us to get over the war( we all know that),don't lecture us on this that or another. Come and embrace us,you will be equally adopted.

As Southerns we have a long history of hospitality,and acceptance.
We want to know you, We want to know where you have been,and from where your family has come .As Southerns we have a rich history of both telling stories and listening to yours. We want to share our passions for our lives with you,wheither it's our Great grandmothers recipe for pickles or granddads secret to making the perfect mint juleps. We want to share our heritage with others,and would love to learn about yours.We have often been accused of keeping our crazies on the front porch, this is due in part to our love for the things that make each person an individual. Some see crazy,we see eccentric! This said Please come, Share with us, experience Us,Enjoy US!

WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST!
Southerngentleman

P.S. remember that we are inclined to revel and play "country dumb", it's a regional pastime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 05:53 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,351 times
Smile You are indeed a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
The average Southern citizen is neither a redneck nor Territorial ,but will often joke with those from regions beyond the mason-Dixon and call them "a Yankee" . This is usually done in a lighthearted manner and means no harm! How ever the term Damn Yankee,is usually reserved for those that have irritated one.
Southerners also do realize that We are often stereotyped by the media and by most outsiders as slow, dim-witted, racist, hillbilly, backwards, and even as Elitist. They envision us as everything from Tara dwelling aristocrats in white suits ...to being shoeless, and living in dilapidated plantation homes.We realize that these romanticised versions of the Moonlight and Magnolia mystic that what is conjured up most often in the minds of those who have never visited the south. Most are often surprised at the rich diverse tapestry of the region when they do visit. Bewildered at the thriving metropolitan cities as Atlanta an Charlotte, Astonished that the Appalachian region has modern amenities and even great institutions of higher education, They quickly learn that there is much more to the South than was thought.
This Moonlight and Magnolia mystic is why we see so many people from all over the country ,who while never setting foot on southern soil ,desire to live in the South in their own utopia.

Also outsiders must remember that along with our rich heritage comes a perchance to be slightly distrusting of outsides until we have judged them individually. We will always be cordial to your face,but will reserve the right to discern your intentions. Carpetbaggers syndrome takes a while to overcome,so don't tell us to get over the war( we all know that),don't lecture us on this that or another. Come and embrace us,you will be equally adopted.

As Southerns we have a long history of hospitality,and acceptance.
We want to know you, We want to know where you have been,and from where your family has come .As Southerns we have a rich history of both telling stories and listening to yours. We want to share our passions for our lives with you,wheither it's our Great grandmothers recipe for pickles or granddads secret to making the perfect mint juleps. We want to share our heritage with others,and would love to learn about yours.We have often been accused of keeping our crazies on the front porch, this is due in part to our love for the things that make each person an individual. Some see crazy,we see eccentric! This said Please come, Share with us, experience Us,Enjoy US!

WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST!
Southerngentleman

P.S. remember that we are inclined to revel and play "country dumb", it's a regional pastime.
This is so very true what you've said. People have preconceived notions about the south without ever having been there and that's so unfair. I am a northerner, but have lived in Alaska, Mississippi , but most of my life in RI. I love the southern way of life, it's culture, heritage, food, but most of all the people. This is why my husband and I will be retiring in the Charleston area. Don't get me wrong there are wonderful people up north too, but the pace of life is just way too fast here. Most of the reason why people are so miserable here is because everyone is in a hurry.At work, on the roads, in the stores- it's just a ratrace everywhere. No one takes time to enjoy life here and that's what I miss most about living down south. Also when you do come from the north and move down south you have to leave the ratrace behind and take time to enjoy all that the south has to offer. If you don't you will be just as miserable down there. I can't wait to lose my Bahston accent and get my Charlestonian accent. And it's so wonderful what you've said about welcoming people who are willing to share their lives and be part of the southern way of life. It's people exactly like you who make me excited about my move down south again. All the best..
Your northern friend
Patty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area