Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 05:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,744 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the site and I just looking for some information on living, working, raising a family in the Mt.Pleasant and Summerville areas. A little background information: My wife and I are pretty young, I guess, in our late 20's to early 30's with a month old little girl. I'm an IT Manager for a construction management company and my wife is an Interior Designer for a Architecht firm in Columbus, Ohio. We don't have an abudant amount of money, but we live comfortably.
I'm looking for a nice safe community to raise our little girl, good schools, parks, sports, jobs and most important of all, shopping for my wife!

If anyone could point us in a good direction for us to start looking I would greatly appreciate it.
If there is a better area than Mt. Pleasant or Summerville, please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 02:29 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Honestly IMO you have picked the two best areas to raise children. The public schools are excellant in those areas, although your years from worring about school. What price range are you looking for because that really narrows your choices down. Also if would consider a townhome?

Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 PM

I would say that I could go to about 250-300K for a home. Right now we have a house, dog, yard and we really always wanted to keep a yard that we could do what we wanted with. We actually lived in a townehouse a couple years ago and I was really hoping to avoid those, plus I'm sure our family will continue to grow.
I appreciate your response.
Thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 06:28 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,432,323 times
Well..... in that price range you can move to either area. You'll get more for money in Summerville but you'd be further from the beach and downtown. So you have to decide what is more important to you and your family.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:39 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,021,264 times
Both areas have plenty to offer in that price range.

Just a for instance...

Mt. Pleasant areas, Single Family, 3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, price 225-325k, 166 active listings.
Summerville areas, Single Family, 3+ bedrooms, 2+ baths, 225-325k, 320 active listings.

And both would certainly have excellent schools, parks, sports, and safe neighborhoods.

You mentioned shopping for your wife, however, and Mt. Pleasant (plus it's proximity to downtown Charleston) would win out in that contest.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:01 AM

Appreciate your input. Looks like either would be a good choice.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM

25 posts, read 127,145 times
Ashley Ridge in Wescott Plantation is a great place to raise your little ones! We have lived here for 2 years and we love it! It's a small neighborhood within Wescott..2 story homes, brick front, with large yards. Homes range from 250-300. I have two very small children but I can say that there are tons of kids in the neighborhood and I know almost all of them. I like that feeling because we all keep an eye on each other's children playing! The only traffic in the streets are the homeowners which everyone is friendly and waves. I also have two dogs with a fenced backyard. There are a few cul-de-sacs and all the children migrate to them to play which is a safety feature for all of us parents!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 33,288 times
Summerville is a great little town. It has everything you need within reach. I live in Sunburst Lakes off of Orangeburg road. I have an elementary school 1 mile from the house and a middle school about 3 minutes away. We also have a new Publix grocery, two drug stores, and several small restaurants within a 1 mile range. Sunburst lakes is also a fairly small community with around 100 homes, swimming pool, playground, and only 1 way in or out (makes for zero through traffic). I have a 12 year old daughter and I have no problem letting her loose to ride her bike or go to the park. The homes are also reasonably priced for the square footage with a lot of them backing up to protected forest land for privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area