Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 11:07 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times

Advertisements

My mom is moving to SC. I need to know what to expect coming from NYC? Would it be a culture shock to my mom? Are there any NYers living in SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 11:29 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,454 times
If she doesn't mind polite people, she'll be fine.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,668,515 times
South Carolina isn't like NYC, but it's very similar to places in the NY suburbs except with less people, marsh/lower elevation, friendlier people, and a slower pace of life. SC isn't the end of civilization (no culture shock unless you never travel outside the city)

Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 AM

882 posts, read 1,463,010 times
I lived in the West Village forever ... obviously there are differences between NYC and the deep south, but Charleston itself has a very diverse culture with folks from all over the US and the world. If she embraces the pace of life and what the Charleston area has to offer I'm sure she will thrive.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:19 PM

259 posts, read 454,058 times
Well, if she lives downtown or close in, she will not feel
out of place. I constantly run across NY/NJ transplants.
Of course the pace is much slower but she will not lack
similarly transplanted contemporaries.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:56 PM

355 posts, read 390,597 times
If she is relocating from THE Bronx-lol Im assuming by your screen name your Latino, living there most of her life , yes yes there will be a big change. Not walking down to the corner Bodega, not having lots of people walking around all hrs, slower pace of life, a total change of her familiarity and not really hearing Latino speaking people .But with that said it is somewhat like Suffolk Co Long Island but with a different attitude. the people are nice and accepting , the weather in July August is like a week of a heat wave in nyc but straight for July and Aug. Sept thru may are terrific. June is like July weather in Nyc. Depending where she is moving to the areas are booming with people so it's not like some think in Ny. It is not wooded deserted areas with dirt roads and only one store. Cost of living is not cheap in the Charleston area. Yes cheaper then what Nyc has to offer but not cheap. Charleston areas are nice and a great place to live, go to the beaches and excellent restaurants.give her time and most likely she will like it. If she doesn't it is not the area but her missing the familiarity of home. One last thing Forget public transportation.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,454 times
I am a creature of the Northeast, and everything that comes with it.

I love it here.
I feel at home.

I think if your mom moves from NYC to Charleston, there will probably be an adjustment period, but she will most likely be happy.
Charleston is pretty much a happy place.

I don't know how old your mom is (heck, she could be my age!), but she might just have some fun here.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 36,210 times
More like are there more natives of SC than NYers. Ha, only kidding. Kind of. At my office of 10 people six of them are from NY originally. I met two people Saturday who had just moved from Queens a week ago and I was the first person they had met that was from SC. Crazy! Not that I'm knocking people moving here. I've only visited NYC a few times but I don't think she will be totally shocked. But maybe, like others said, the pace is a lot slower. When I got back from NYC I was exhausted. It was an amazing place but I don't think I could live there for long.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:24 PM

662 posts, read 1,410,861 times
People move here from all over the world because of how nice it is. There are plenty of northerners that come down to escape the harsh winters and enjoy a slower pace.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:27 PM

28 posts, read 36,210 times
Can't blame them.

Last edited by hoover5726; 11-24-2014 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area