Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,585 times

Advertisements

I am planning to sell our house in 7-10 years. We are doing a full kitchen gut and remodel now. I don't want to do anything too trendy. I am thinking light cherry slab front cabinets, and adding extra cabinets and counter space next to my eat in kitchen area.

Is extra cabinets a plus or minus?

What cabinet color will have long standing appeal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 05:06 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,555 times
I'm no realtor, but have been a serial buyer/seller and old house rehab restorer for decades. You can never go wrong with more cabinet space, especially if selling to Northern pack rats.

IMO, stay with GOOD woodgrain cabinets. ( I think maple is nice and timeless, but that's just my taste.) White cabinets looks like crap after only a few short years, especially if you have slobs like mine living with you.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:59 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,498 times
Extra cabinets are always a plus. Stainless appliances and granite counters. Lots of Canned lighting

Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 5,417 times
I would go with a cherry or maple wood and dark. White cabinets are on trend right now but will not be timeless. More cabinets are a plus but keep in mind what could go in there space. The best way to make a kitchen look upgraded and get extra space is to go with the cabinets and molding to the ceiling. This is timeless and efficient.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:39 PM

3,865 posts, read 4,601,443 times
I agree with the above except that I don't think white will go out of style... it's too basic. I just chose white for the cabinets in the townhouse I'm remodeling because it would be a darker kitchen with wood. I also am putting wood floors in the kitchen and didn't want an overdose of wood.

More cabinets, yes! What color depends on other factors.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:23 PM

363 posts, read 439,971 times
I'm not a realtor, just lurk on this site and love kitchen design! Either maple or cherry or white, solid wood cabinets are timeless. If they start to show wear, you can clean them up with Liquid Gold or Murphy's oil soap and water. If you use dark cabinets, use lighter colored countertops and vice versa. White cabinets and dark countertops are both on trend and classic. Subway tile is timeless, you can find it in glass. Milky green glass tiles look great with white cabs. I would make the extra cabinets movable if possible, as large islands have become popular. But it sounds as though you have a space with some flexibility. There are more flexible tiles being used, like linoleum or bamboo. Pendants are a pretty pop of color for task lighting. Don't be afraid to give your kitchen a little personality with small touches like the backsplash or a transom window or skylight.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:20 AM

455 posts, read 670,635 times
I agree that white cabinets can be timeless and look great. In the middle of a remodel now and chose white cabinets for a clean, bright look in the kitchen. modcut

Last edited by Beretta; 09-01-2015 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: bad website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area