Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 06:09 AM

101 posts, read 110,323 times

Advertisements

I feel like a brat complaining; however, I have to vent..... I have a lovely home but for some reason I cannot for the life of me, get attached to this house. I've done so much work to it, I'm redecorating, constantly trying to bring my taste into the house, but I cannot get attached to this house. I just don't like the house,no matter what I do to it. I would sell it in a heart beat, but currently I'm upside down in it since I've only lived in it for a year. I'm trying very hard to make it work for a least another year, it may take longer, just to minimize my out of pocket money. I have never felt so trapped and it is a horrible feeling. Not to mention, my commute to and from work is an hour or more. IF I had a home that I enjoyed going to, the commute would be tolerable, but because I don't "love" my house, it just frustrates me more. Again, the house is lovely and all of my friends go on and on about how beautiful the house is, but I just cannot stand this house and truthfully, there is no reason for me to feel this way, so I battle myself constantly. There is nothing wrong with this house~why do I feel like this? Perhaps, it simply isn't a fit for me and I want to move.

So, any suggestions on how to sell without losing my rear on the deal?

Again, I know I sound ungrateful, and every day I get up and remind myself how fortunate I am. Geez, see what I mean, I battle myself all the time over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 07:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
The house we bought 5 years ago is in a unique setting. It's not a big home but it is a complete custom home with great finishes. The view at the back is beyond crazy....but I am not loving the main floor plan. My husband fell in love with the house. I thought I might. I don't hate it but I'm struggling to love it. I left a house that was in a rather ordinary subdivision and had a decent enough lot but I LOVED the layout of the house...absolutely adored it. It was perfect.

So I feel your pain. I'm far from miserable but I don't know if I ever will love this house like I loved the other one. Maybe some folks don't ever LOVE their house.....This is my home and I love it because of that.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:49 AM

Thank you so much for sharing with me your struggles in loving your home. Unfortunately, I am miserable and although I refrain from using the word hate, that really sums it up for me. I wish I could call this my home, but presently I'm just existing, counting the days until I can sell it.

I've lived in several homes, some nowhere near as nice as the one I currently live in, some better, but this is the very first house that I've ever owned that I have a disdain for. And, for the life of me, I cannot figure out why. And, because I don't trust my judgment anymore in real estate purchases, I think once I sell this one, it will be a good while before I would take the plunge in buying another home.

My husband is okay with the house, but he knows that a happy wife is a happy life, so whatever I want to do. Unfortunately, I can't sell this home without losing a bunch of money due to the real estate commissions and closing costs.
I sure hope that the values go up in 2016 so I can sell and move on.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:57 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
If it's making you that miserable, accept the loss and move on. Consider it an expensive lesson. There's no reason to stay there and suffer constantly.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
If it's making you that miserable, accept the loss and move on. Consider it an expensive lesson. There's no reason to stay there and suffer constantly.
Oh boy, you sound like my realtor.

$15,000 is a lot of money to lose. Bottom line is that I have to choose my poison, be miserable because I just took $15,000 out of my savings account, thus borrowing against my retirement, or stay put and suck it up for a few years. Either way, it's not pretty.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:28 AM

Give it another year. You might be good. Fortunately the one good thing is the market -- we bought low and our house is already valued at a conservative 50% more than we paid for it. I think that was part of the draw for my husband. That is tough if you hate it that much. My plan would be to start looking where I think I would LOVE to live. Look at open houses, listings, whatever. Use this year to get a better feel of what it is you want. And in a year you might be able to find something. I keep my eyes on things in case a treasure pops up that my better suit me.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
I've never been attached to a house. Maybe it's a good thing

Old 09-01-2015, 08:38 AM

I never paid attention to loving or hating a house. I've always thought we did really well with our house purchases. I didn't notice how much I loved the last house until I had been living here for a bit. I'm not hating it but I'm not loving it. This was suppose to be it for us....not sure it is....we'll see

Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
we bought low and our house is already valued at a conservative 50% more than we paid for it.
I think that's one of my disappointments. I think we paid way too much money for the house. My realtor swears we didn't, but my gut from day one was that we were. Yes, it appraised for exactly the price we paid so relatively speaking we probably didn't. I look at the housing market all the time and when I look at comparables, I really feel that we did.

I should have trusted my gut and walked away from this house, but I was talked into it on so many levels.

Quote:
Give it another year.
That's what we intend to do ~ counting the days.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:58 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsausername View Post
I think that's one of my disappointments. I think we paid way too much money for the house. My realtor swears we didn't, but my gut from day one was that we were. Yes, it appraised for exactly the price we paid so relatively speaking we probably didn't. I look at the housing market all the time and when I look at comparables, I really feel that we did.

I should have trusted my gut and walked away from this house, but I was talked into it on so many levels.

That's what we intend to do ~ counting the days.
Well that makes more sense... you resent paying too much for the house so you hate it. Quit looking at comps and try to let it go like the frozen chick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
View detailed profiles of: