Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 12:06 PM

97 posts, read 261,003 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get my move the the Charleston area (Summerville) going. I will be in the area the end of March with my 2 children and my parents.
Any suggestions on places I should check out? Beaches? Food? etc?
Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM

528 posts, read 1,514,098 times
Are you looking to move to Summerville eventually and need recommendations for areas to check out? Or are you just coming for vacation?

Old 02-25-2008, 01:15 PM

I am planning on moving there. . . ASAP!!!! Everything is pulling me to Summerville, but I obviously have to go there before the final decision is made.
So when we are down there, I want to check out things in the area where my kids and I will probably be moving. It is technically a vacation, but I will be scoping things out!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Hit the Plantations and Gardens along Hwy 61 (Ashley River Rd), i.e. Drayton Hall, Magnolia Gardens, Middleton Place. Check out Folly Beach as well as Isle of Palms and Sullivan's. Hit the Children's Museum in Charleston and check the schedule online to see if you can find a Charleston Stingrays, Charleston Battery soccer, or Charleston Riverdogs baseball game to attend (I'm completely blanking at the moment if any of them are actually in season). Visit the Angel Oak on John's Island for a picture, and be sure to check out the many waterfront parks in and around the lowcountry.

Have dinner at any of the restaurants in the area besides the chains(its hard to go wrong with local restaurants here), be sure to stroll along the Battery of downtown Charleston, or better yet, grab a carriage tour.

I'm missing about 500 things to do and see I'm sure. But the above is certainly a good start.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM

Thank you for the info! Here are my stupid question. . .are the Charleston Stingrays the swim team? My son swims competitively and I would love to take him to see that. What is this Battery I keep hearing about? Is Folly Beach a family friendly beach?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM

The Stingrays are actually the Hockey Team. There is year round competitive swim team in Charleston...you can see their website at South Marlins Racing Team
The Battery is in downtown Charleston and is the area where the Cooper and Ashley River flow together to form the Atlantic Ocean. At least that's what the locals say. It is a scenic area with a park area, monuments, a walk that is right on the water and gorgeous old historic homes. It's definitely a must see. It's at the end of the Charleston Peninsula.
If you are coming to scope out the area, I would suggest spending a day with a realtor from Summerville who can show you around and give you a good feel for the Summerville area that isn't "touristy". Charleston is a beautiful place, but if you want to live in SUmmerville, definitely take time to have someone show you the ins and outs.
Oh yes..Folly Beach is not as family friendly, in my opinion, as Isle of Palms or Sullivans. It is more of a hippie, surfer crowd. I'm not sure how old your children are, but Isle of Palms is probably the best beach to hit. (Of course, this is just my personal taste since I grew up spending my summers at the IOP. ) Let us know what else you need to know and we can help.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM

My boys are 7 and 10. I am sure they would LOVE to see the surfing scene, but (here I am showing my SC ignorance) I don't know how much of that will be going on in the end of March. They will just be excited about being at the ocean either way!! No matter how cold the water is, they will be in it!
I want to see as much as possible when I am there. From touristy to local. Hopefully I will have a few job interviews while I am there, too (fingers crossed! )!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM

Sounds like you will have a lot of fun with your boys. Nothing beats the beach. My wife always said it was the best babysitter because everyone would have fun for hours at a time.
You may see some surfers in wetsuits out in March, but it will be too chilly for most to venture in.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:38 PM

That is what I figured. We will have fun not matter what!!! Although, after reading all of these post about how horrible the job market is there, I am getting a bit scared!!! I would hate the think that I might be better off in Buffalo (gulp!)!

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM

What field are you in again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area