Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:18 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,945,889 times

Advertisements

So.....do these Termite Bonds really need an Annual Renewal ?? The Fee is $200, that's over and above the Quarterly Treatment which is now about $65 a visit.

I'm just wondering how necessary is the Termite Bond -- On a Slab Foundation with Red Cedar Mulch around the perimeter it's pretty easy to spot the little bugger's tunnels as soon as they appear. Any prospective new Buyer is probably going to get their own Termite Inspection before purchase,
I am paying $200 bucks just to give a new buyer a transferable Bond ?

What do you folks pay for The Bug Guys to come out ??
Is there a favored purveyor of Bug Juice in the area ??

I know I need the Quarterly Treatment. Every time DW sees a Palmetto Bug....it's like Jurassic Park !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 04:51 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,008,167 times
You pay $65/quarter? We are paying $105/quarter with Home Team (who we have been happy with). We have a new home with the tubes in the wall system.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:28 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
So.....do these Termite Bonds really need an Annual Renewal ?? The Fee is $200, that's over and above the Quarterly Treatment which is now about $65 a visit.

I'm just wondering how necessary is the Termite Bond -- On a Slab Foundation with Red Cedar Mulch around the perimeter it's pretty easy to spot the little bugger's tunnels as soon as they appear. Any prospective new Buyer is probably going to get their own Termite Inspection before purchase,
I am paying $200 bucks just to give a new buyer a transferable Bond ?

What do you folks pay for The Bug Guys to come out ??
Is there a favored purveyor of Bug Juice in the area ??

I know I need the Quarterly Treatment. Every time DW sees a Palmetto Bug....it's like Jurassic Park !!

It's basically an insurance policy against termite damage.

The main thing is.... you better make sure the inspector does a GOOD JOB when he comes to inspect your house each year. A lot of those guys just pencil whip the form and don't even inspect. Year after year. And then you get termites and could suffer a few years of damage before you discover it.... and have huge repair bill.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:16 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,216 times
Our terminix is $265 a year and they come out once a year. Centracon system and includes formosons. Very important.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 AM

We have the port for in-wall tubes but were told those tubes sometimes break inside the walls. Why they would break in a 12 year old house is beyond me. Probably some salesmanship there. Your house is rather new isn't it macalan ??

The guy who comes out every quarter is very thorough, both inside and out. I don't think termites are the main problem. But the Palmetto Bugs seem to have a Life Cycle of 89 days.....just before the quarterly treatment there's always one big bug scurrying around.

I guess it's not such a bad price after all.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
I pay the bond as future buyer(s) will expect it and if not bonded, it can be expensive to get one in place.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
I have the tubes in the wall, that I have never used. Home Team is way overpriced and a rip off.
I use a local company to come out and spray the exterior and interior, if necessary.
I let the termite bond expire, and called them, they said you can easily renew it within a 5 year period. The house is just 3 1/2 years old. I would say let it expire, just be sure to get an inspection for termites to be sure.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:46 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,597,311 times
I didn't have a bond on any of my properties for years but that was when I had time to inspect them myself periodically. Now I have a repair bond on all of them. Costs $650 to set it up and $230-$265 per year to maintain depending on the property. Some folks buy the bait stations themselves and do their own monitoring. That probably works fine if you keep up with it and you can always get a repair bond just before marketing a house if desired. It's definitely a good selling point.

For palmetto bugs, I spray strategically at door thresholds and other entry points and don't have much problem with them. (after 30 years here I'm not particularly squeamish about them either) It costs next to nothing and I have control over where chemicals are being sprayed in my house.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:14 PM

482 posts, read 845,154 times
Mine recently went up to $234/yr and they come out once a year

Old 01-26-2017, 03:05 PM

They only come out once a year and not every 3 months ??

I've found the Palmetto Bugs seem to reappear every 89 days. I don't mind them, they are easy to kill. But DW does not like them at all. She's not usually squeamish about bugs, but these critters look prehistoric to her. When you think about it.....they have probably survived since T-Rex walked the earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area