Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
It's completely hypocritical of us, but who else is going to poke fun at DI?

Actually I think DI and North MtP 'feel' the same to me. Less "small town" and more "Stepford Wife-y". (I'm not saying this as a bad thing, I love living here.) Biggest difference to me is that Di is wealthier and less diverse.
Soo, my favorite Stepford story for DI. I used to live in Mt P, sold my house, briefly moved to DI before moving out here in the country. Second day in the DI house and we're right on a park. Look out in the morning and there are about 10 mothers out there with their strollers, all talking to one another. No big deal, right? Except, they were all wearing the exact same yoga pants and pushing the exact same jogging strollers. Everywhere I went in DI, I encountered this phenomena again and again. I couldn't wait to escape the island when we moved. I thought Mt P was bad but it had absolutely nothing on DI for its Stepford tendencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 08:25 AM

480 posts, read 504,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Soo, my favorite Stepford story for DI.
Thanks for the laugh Southbel.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:52 PM

482 posts, read 845,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Soo, my favorite Stepford story for DI. I used to live in Mt P, sold my house, briefly moved to DI before moving out here in the country. Second day in the DI house and we're right on a park. Look out in the morning and there are about 10 mothers out there with their strollers, all talking to one another. No big deal, right? Except, they were all wearing the exact same yoga pants and pushing the exact same jogging strollers. Everywhere I went in DI, I encountered this phenomena again and again. I couldn't wait to escape the island when we moved. I thought Mt P was bad but it had absolutely nothing on DI for its Stepford tendencies.
LOL - These are the stories that stepford wives don't laugh at

Old 09-02-2017, 06:14 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
It will be interesting to see how DI traffic starts to fair once all those condos/apartments begin to fill up. Those things are massive in scale.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 AM

9 posts, read 11,584 times
One of the best things about DI is that kids can and do independently get all around town on their bikes. They get themselves to school, go get smoothies, hang out at friends. That gives it a real small town feel.

As to some other comments - paper mill typically smells a lot more from North Charleston over towards the airport, the prevailing winds being east to west. I notice about two or three times a month but after a few minutes you stop noticing.

Commute is important. I reverse commute to North Charleston and it is a breeze. if you found work at Boeing, would be great.

For errands, once a weekend I'll typically make a run to MT P but otherwise everything you need is on the island.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:31 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
They'll have their very own cotillion....

Daniel Island opens first cotillion | Community News | moultrienews.com

Old 09-02-2017, 11:16 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky21 View Post
Thanks for the laugh Southbel.
It may be a good laugh ... but it still remains a silly piece of fiction...I could use a stronger word .. but Ill leave it at fiction...

Old 09-02-2017, 03:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
It may be a good laugh ... but it still remains a silly piece of fiction...I could use a stronger word .. but Ill leave it at fiction...
Say whatever you want. Actually happened.

Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 PM

21 posts, read 19,351 times
TrinaLC, thank you - I appreciate hearing from someone that lives on DI. I would love to be able to let our kids ride around independently as they get older; those are the kinds of things we are looking for.

Do you know of any forum, FB group, or something else more specific to Daniel Island? We are in a large city now so we have quite a few resources like that with people that have moving questions. From what I understand, DI is not in the wind pool? We are trying to get a feel for insurance costs and it would be nice to be able to get feedback on those kinds of Qs from DI residents.

Last edited by phynyrd; 09-03-2017 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 09-03-2017, 08:47 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phynyrd View Post
TrinaLC, thank you - I appreciate hearing from someone that lives on DI. I would love to be able to let our kids ride around independently as they get older; those are the kinds of things we are looking for.

Do you know of any forum, FB group, or something else more specific to Daniel Island? We are in a large city now so we have quite a few resources like that with people that have moving questions. From what I understand, DI is not in the wind pool? We are trying to get a feel for insurance costs and it would be nice to be able to get feedback on those kinds of Qs from DI residents.
You can call your insurance company and get a quote for houses that are for sale that you would be interested in. You can even call the utility companies and find out what the current residents are paying for their utility bills. Some houses can be hundreds more a month than others of the same price when including insurance, taxes, and energy efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area