Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:20 AM

42 posts, read 70,461 times

Advertisements

The results are in in the new U.S. News & World Report Top 10 Best States report and South Carolina ranks mostly in the bottom half of the list in all categories.

The report reflects what citizens value most in their states, so categories included: health care, education, crime, infrastructure, opportunity, economy, and government.

South Carolina ranked 45 out of 50 overall. Here's how our state ranked from worst to best in each of the categories:
  • Education - #50
  • Opportunity - #48
  • Infrastructure - #43
  • Crime - #41
  • Health Care - #39
  • Government - #32
  • Economy - #16
South Carolina ranked dead last in Education with only 36% of the state being college educated. There were subcategories within the Education bracket and our state ranked #44 in Higher Education. We were ranked #13 in the 4-Year College Graduation Rate, which was close to the top, but we are also #43 in Tuition and Fees for a 4-year public college.

The reports also shows that just over 25% of high school students are actually prepared for college. This category was based on students being able to meet the ACT benchmarks.

As far as our best ranking goes, Economy ranked close to the Top 10 mark, but the subcategory rankings varied. Growth in South Carolina ranks at #9, meaning that GDP growth and Net Migration is doing well. Employment in South Carolina ranked #29 and the Business Environment was right behind it at #3.

No southern states made it into the Top 10 ranking, but South Carolina only ranked higher than New Mexico, Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Louisiana coming in at #50 overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 12:03 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
Thanks for the info. I know it to be true. North Carolina and Virginia both much nicer states. Virginia ranked #20 and North Carolina #22. Once my children get older and I retire (10 years) (younger retirement law enforcement mandatory) I will look at moving

Old 03-07-2018, 12:11 PM

882 posts, read 1,463,164 times
This probably belongs in the SC forum.

But yes the state as a whole fares relatively poorly, thankfully our city is one of the best places to live: https://realestate.usnews.com/places...places-to-live

That is if any of these rankings matter to someone.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:24 PM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,148 times
Why is education tied to a 4 year degree? Why are we in a mind set that the only path to success is through college?

Old 03-07-2018, 12:43 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Agree this belongs in the main forum, but regardless, is this a surprise? SC has always had these issues, unfortunately, and state rankings have always been all over the place. Our urban areas are really good, but our rural areas are really, really terrible. None of the transplants that are bringing their better lifestyles are moving there, and the natives are finding no upward mobility.

Rankings are subjective anyway. If you live your life in a Charleston, Columbia, Greenville bubble, then it doesn't feel like you live in the "5th worst state." California may be considered the state most people fantasize living in, but that fantasy is the Pacific Coast/Hollywood Hills/Golden Gate bubble. No one is fantasizing about Bakersfield and Fresno.

NC is the same way. Charlotte and Raleigh couldn't be anymore on fire and modern, but if you live in Lumberton or Rocky Mount or along 95, then you might as well be in another state.

I do wish we would elect officials who would fix these issues and do more than try to land manufacturers, and pressure them on these issues, and our infrastructure, but it is what it is. And as hyper partisan as the whole country has become, it'll probably stay status quo for a while.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:52 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,943,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Thanks for the info. I know it to be true. North Carolina and Virginia both much nicer states. Virginia ranked #20 and North Carolina #22. Once my children get older and I retire (10 years) (younger retirement law enforcement mandatory) I will look at moving
Coastal NC and VA are not contributing to their rankings. Coastal NC is about as backwoods as it gets. What’s pulling VA and NC up is DC and Charlotte. That being said, I’d rather pull my own fingernails out than live in the DC metro, I don’t care how it ranks.

Currently you’re living in one of the best ranking metros, so as far as rankings go, you’re wanting to move to lower ranked metro over a higher one. Rather than choosing to be miserable for the next 10 years, start appreciating what you do have.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Why is education tied to a 4 year degree? Why are we in a mind set that the only path to success is through college?
Yea, I thought that was odd. That’s the mindset that’s landed half the country in student debt making the same money they would have made if they went straight into the workforce.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:47 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,216 times
We lead in diabetes !

Old 03-07-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
We lead in diabetes !
Yes, as soon as people move here they get diabeties.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:08 PM

14 posts, read 30,435 times
I stopped reading that list at Iowa #1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area