Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 07:31 PM

727 posts, read 716,743 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a business that hires college students who are home on break?

It's only for 3 weeks, so something that requires a lot of training would probably not work. I was thinking there must be places that have short-term, time-limited tasks they need done?

Already tried UPS for driver helper or warehouse, but no openings. He can go store to store and ask about seasonal retail jobs if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 07:49 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,847,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSJSAS View Post
Does anyone know of a business that hires college students who are home on break?

It's only for 3 weeks, so something that requires a lot of training would probably not work. I was thinking there must be places that have short-term, time-limited tasks they need done?

Already tried UPS for driver helper or warehouse, but no openings. He can go store to store and ask about seasonal retail jobs if nothing else.
Some of the locally owned restaurants or stores downtown may hire him for that time while the cofc students that work there are gone.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Some of the locally owned restaurants or stores downtown may hire him for that time while the cofc students that work there are gone.
That's kind of what I was thinking. He might have to go door to door and ask, because I don't see that kind of job on any of the common help wanted sites.

There is an ad for a sign spinner.......it might come to that.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:20 AM

3,865 posts, read 4,602,405 times
Too bad UPS is full. I worked for them 2 times as a Christmas extra many years ago and it was a great job that paid well. Your son would fit right in. He's good looking, personable and smart so he'd fit into a retail job well if he wants to do that. Is he trying to find a job or is it just you trying to find a job for him?

Old 12-15-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalHero View Post
Too bad UPS is full. I worked for them 2 times as a Christmas extra many years ago and it was a great job that paid well. Your son would fit right in. He's good looking, personable and smart so he'd fit into a retail job well if he wants to do that. Is he trying to find a job or is it just you trying to find a job for him?
Thanks for the compliments!

Oh, he's tired of being broke so he really wants to work! We subsidize as much as we can, but he's used to working and not having to ask for money. He's had a job here since he was old enough to work, but has had no luck finding one since going out of state. Summer won't be a problem.

I agree that UPS would be perfect. Retail, too, but the search would be more productive if he knew who might actually still have seasonal openings. Indeed and those employment sites have a few, but there must be more. I suggested going from store to store at Tanger and Azalea and asking.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:00 PM

108 posts, read 101,859 times
Do you live in a neighborhood that has a Facebook or Nextdoor group? You may try posting his availability on there. Putting up/taking down Christmas decorations, house-sitting, dog-walking, cleaning out garages, hauling stuff to Goodwill for end-of-year tax purposes, etc. - An all-cash operation -

Old 12-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashsc View Post
Do you live in a neighborhood that has a Facebook or Nextdoor group? You may try posting his availability on there. Putting up/taking down Christmas decorations, house-sitting, dog-walking, cleaning out garages, hauling stuff to Goodwill for end-of-year tax purposes, etc. - An all-cash operation -
Yes, I do. Handymen, dog sitters and babysitters advertise by the dozens, though.
Still, it might be an option. Thanks for the idea!

Old 12-22-2019, 03:22 AM

5 posts, read 26,373 times
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments!

Oh, he's tired of being broke so he really wants to work! We subsidize as much as we can, but he's used to working and not having to ask for money. He's had a job here since he was old enough to work, but has had no luck finding one since going out of state. Summer won't be a problem.

I agree that UPS would be perfect. Retail, too, but the search would be more productive if he knew who might actually still have seasonal openings. Indeed and those employment sites have a few, but there must be more. I suggested going from store to store at Tanger and Azalea and asking.
My husband needs someone capable of helping him with remodeling. Some of it is on the exterior and some is on the interior. It is construction type work so strength does matter. We can pay $15 an hour cash and my husband will be working 8 to 10 hours a day for up to 3 weeks. If your son is accustomed to physical work, he can text my spouse at 615 766 4075 to discuss. Thanks. SP

Old 12-22-2019, 07:04 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times
Quote:
Yes, I do. Handymen, dog sitters and babysitters advertise by the dozens, though.
Still, it might be an option. Thanks for the idea!
Also, the Nextdoor ap is a good source for finding folks who need odd jobs done. I have used a that ap to install a fence, re-do my kitchen, and have my yard cut.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabellevandora View Post
My husband needs someone capable of helping him with remodeling. Some of it is on the exterior and some is on the interior. It is construction type work so strength does matter. We can pay $15 an hour cash and my husband will be working 8 to 10 hours a day for up to 3 weeks. If your son is accustomed to physical work, he can text my spouse at 615 766 4075 to discuss. Thanks. SP
Thank you! I replied to your PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area