Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 PM

32 posts, read 78,365 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

My wife and I are awaiting our family from Germany for a summer vacation in SC. We will be staying in a rental house in Mt. Pleasant from May 25th until June 5th. Since we live in the MIdwest and have never been to SC wed like to get some recommendations from the locals! What is the closest and nicest beach around? should we visit any of the surrounding Island? WHich ones? Can you rent boates and bicycles? Are there any boat tours? Any good restaurants ( mainly seafood ) ? Where can we go shopping? My brother in law is only 19 - could we rent dirtbikes or whats fun to do for teens in the area?
My inlaws have never been to the U.S. so I am wanting to show them as much as possible within 10 days of time and make it a great experience.Your help would be really appreciated ! thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 03:22 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,016,626 times
Visit Isle of Palms beach, its the closest to you in Mt. Pleasant. Sullivan's Island beach is a bit more laid back and residential, but certainly worth a visit as well. Definitely go downtown in the afternoon/evening and take a carriage tour, visit the shops, etc. Some fantastic restaurants downtown as well, you can't miss Hank's for seafood.

As for fun stuff, the Riverdogs are at home from May 20-27th I think, so you could definitely hit the stadium downtown and see them play some baseball. It's a fantastic location for the family, and always a fun night! Check their schedule and buy tickets for their games online at www.riverdogs.com.

I think you'll have a fantastic vacation!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:35 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
Visitors center website.
Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau - Charleston, SC | Charleston Tourism, Media, Tours, Meetings, Wedding, and Travel Council Info

Also during the time you are here the Spoleto Festival will be going on.
intro

Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 PM

379 posts, read 1,418,417 times
I would keep an eye out for what's playing here for the 19 year old...never been but I'm looking forward to checking it out myself.

Music Farm | 32 Ann Street | Charleston SC 29403 (http://www.musicfarm.com/home.html - broken link)

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
I don't know of any places that rent dirt bikes but you can try some of the local motorcycle shops.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Thank you all so much for your help! My mother-in-law is looking forward to the "oceanfront" bars... do you even have that in Charleston? She is part turkish and I guess over there they have bars right on the beach .. I was not quite sure whether cold margaritas on the beach are available or even allowed in SC please enlighten me!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:39 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,323,940 times
The IOP has atleast one bar, Windjammer, on the beach.

Ft Liquiordale has alot of beachside bars...

Old 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM

2,046 posts, read 919,349 times
For THE BEST seafood: The Wreck in the old village of Mount Pleasant. It looks just like that - a wreck (and was named for one which is on the grounds) - but the food is excellent; comes right off the docks on Shem Creek where the restaurant is located. You can eat and view the shrimp boats and seagulls. Address: 106 Haddrell Street but call them at (843) 884-0052 for directions because it can be hard to find (even Google and Mapquest may not do the trick!). You cannot leave here without at least seeing the "basket ladies". If you go north on Hwy 17 in Mount Pleasant past the Isle of Palms connector that section is the "Basketmaker's Highway". The stalls line the road for several miles (although you can find them all over the Charleston area). These baskets are made by hand from long pine needles, sweetgrass and palmetto leaves. The tradition dates back to Africa; the slaves brought here made them and it has been taught for generations. Some pieces are actually in the Smithsonian! They can cost a fortune, although you can buy a small piece for not too much. You can also take harbor cruises - find info at www.spiritlinecruises.com. Bicycles and surfboards can be rented at the Isle of Palms - the nicest beach around and the closet to where you'll be staying, as DJShymansky mentioned. Check out www.tidalwavewatersports.com. Go to the old Market in town for shopping and a bit of history; also, there's plenty of good restaurants in that general area as well as stores and a huge shopping "building" called Charleston Place. Shopping on King Street one block over is fun too. Not too far from there is the Battery and it's park - even driving by that is interesting. Also, in North Charleston is the Ice Palace for ice skating and a waterpark, Whirlin' Waters Adventure Waterpark - the 19 year old would probably enjoy that and the surfing, bikes, etc. Wow, I'm a native and I didn't realize until I had to think about it just how much there is to do around here! And I've barely touched the surface! Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Ahh the WAterpark -- that is a good one -- I forgot about it.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM

Default Thank you so much! Is swimming in May even possible?

Thanks guys, sounds like we will have a great time. Do you know how warm the water is at the end of May /beginning of June? Will it be warm enough to swim in the ocean ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area