Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:39 PM

478 posts, read 1,658,280 times

Advertisements

Our son will be starting college in the Fall, and has applied and accepted to 3/2 colleges here in SC. He wants to be an Accountant.

The 3 colleges are:

Winthrop
Univ. of SC
College of Charleston (waiting for proof of residency for final acceptance)

These colleges were recommended by his counselor at school. Are any of these colleges more reputable than the other for a future in accounting.

His counselor has spoken highly about all 3, so we trust him - but it never hurts to get other's opinions.

FYI - Clemson was not an option - they required 2 or 3 credits (I can't remember) of foreign language, which our son didn't have - nor could he have fulfilled in time.

Thanks in advance - we're trying to counsel him, but being from the Midwest most of our lives, we knew which direction he was going in MI - but SC is a whole new ballgame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Went to Wikipedia -- Winthrop is known as SC's top public college. WOW. I did not know that. I know that University of South Carolina has a pretty good reputation. Where does your son think he would like to go? Did he visit the campuses?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Went to Wikipedia -- Winthrop is known as SC's top public college. WOW. I did not know that. I know that University of South Carolina has a pretty good reputation. Where does your son think he would like to go? Did he visit the campuses?
We went to Winthrop today for tour - he'd been two times previous. We stopped at U of SC today on the way home - he's visited their campus previously also. College of Charleston is downtown - so we've walked around - but not actually on a tour yet, we have to show proof of residency - which shouldn't be an issue since my husband has been here since 2007, and paid taxes 2007 & 2008.

I think it's really between Winthrop and U of SC - everyone speaks highly of both. I liked Winthrop a lot, smaller campus - quaint town/setting = less distractions. He's leaning toward U of SC - which is bigger campus = more night life/more distractions, and I was worried about more crime - since more spread out. But no statistics on that, just my feeling, since it's the capital. I'll probably feel different when we do their tour and talk about the security - today we just walked the campus ourselves.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 PM

379 posts, read 1,419,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post
We went to Winthrop today for tour - he'd been two times previous. We stopped at U of SC today on the way home - he's visited their campus previously also. College of Charleston is downtown - so we've walked around - but not actually on a tour yet, we have to show proof of residency - which shouldn't be an issue since my husband has been here since 2007, and paid taxes 2007 & 2008.

I think it's really between Winthrop and U of SC - everyone speaks highly of both. I liked Winthrop a lot, smaller campus - quaint town/setting = less distractions. He's leaning toward U of SC - which is bigger campus = more night life/more distractions, and I was worried about more crime - since more spread out. But no statistics on that, just my feeling, since it's the capital.
Are you saying you have to show proof of residency to tour College of Charleston? My niece from Boston was planning a tour there in a few weeks.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:49 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ17015 View Post

I think it's really between Winthrop and U of SC - everyone speaks highly of both. I liked Winthrop a lot, smaller campus - quaint town/setting = less distractions. He's leaning toward U of SC - which is bigger campus = more night life/more distractions, and I was worried about more crime - since more spread out. But no statistics on that, just my feeling, since it's the capital. I'll probably feel different when we do their tour and talk about the security - today we just walked the campus ourselves.
I graduated from USC and the area around campus is not dangerous. USC has it's own police department and there is plenty of city police presence in Five Points and the Vista (the main entertainment areas downtown). USC also has a highly rated College of Business, especially for International Business. I know many people who got their accounting degrees at USC and have done well.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarynO View Post
Are you saying you have to show proof of residency to tour College of Charleston? My niece from Boston was planning a tour there in a few weeks.

No - his application is being held up for in-state tuition. They have not sent him a rejection or acceptance, but are waiting for further proof of residency. But after being accepted at Winthrop and U of SC, I can't imagine him being rejected to College of Charleston - but stranger things have happened.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Keep in mind that anyone can write anything on Wikipedia. I could go on there right now and describe the earth's moon as being made of cheese.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I graduated from USC and the area around campus is not dangerous. USC has it's own police department and there is plenty of city police presence in Five Points and the Vista (the main entertainment areas downtown). USC also has a highly rated College of Business, especially for International Business. I know many people who got their accounting degrees at USC and have done well.
Good to know! I figured I was just being a worrier - we have yet to do a guided tour of U of SC - but he just got his acceptance package, so have yet to schedule it.

Thanks - sounds like they'll both be great choices.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 AM

362 posts, read 995,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Keep in mind that anyone can write anything on Wikipedia. I could go on there right now and describe the earth's moon as being made of cheese.
Matt I was just thinking the same thing.
RJ you would be better off checking a site like princetonreview.com for any rankings and statistics you might be interested in. My daughter is a freshman at USC and is very happy. We also had alot of concerns about safety, and being just a number in such a big school. But I have to say after orientation all my fears were calmed. I feel the administration really cares about the students and wants them to succeed. Although it is a big school school it can be small. Oh and distractions trust me they can occur no matter what size school, city or small town. Good luck to your son.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
I would say for Business/Accounting, University of South Carolina (I can't call it USC b/c that to me is the University fo Southern California) has the better reputation han Winthrop...Winthrop is very good if you are wanting to go into teaching & computer science/programming. C of C is pretty good for business management as well...the thing about Winthrop, even though Rock Hill is a smaller town w/ not much to do (I live here), it isn't too far to go out a lot in Charlotte...one of my friends who went to Winthrop said they all went out in the QC all the time, they just either got a cab, or a DD.
Anyways, good luck to your son and you guys...it was one of the hardest choices I have made in my life thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area