Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:06 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,517 times

Advertisements

I'm considering Sarasota or Charleston SC as a winter location. I would live somewhere else in summers, possibly Oregon or New England. I wanted to know what others think of Sarasota/Charleston for a single (straight) 39 year old guy? I have a Internet related job so I can live anywhere in the U.S. I currently live in San Diego. But contrary to popular myth, San Diego's winters are not as balmly as Southern Florida and the ocean water is cold almost year around in San Diego. San Diego coastal is more mid to low 60's day time temps in winters and springs.

I'm wondering if I'll be too young for Sarasota? I'm also looking for a place that has somewhat of a hip progressive vibe where people walk, cafe's, etc...

The Southeast Coast of FL just seems a little too congested and "plastic" to me. Miami Beach is a possibility, but I'm not really deep into the party scene anymore and it's a little over the top at this stage of my life (maybe when I was 25).

What do you think of Sarasota vs. Charleston SC as a winter/spring only place to live?

I think houses prices in Charleston are more affordable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 04:25 PM

394 posts, read 1,048,852 times
My sister-in-law and brother-in-law live in Sarasota and are in their early to mid 30's. We live in Summerville. IMO - they seem to have more outlets for meeting couples to hang around with than we do and socialize a good deal more. Also, Summerville (and I think other parts of Charleston) is pretty transient. We've had five sets of very good friends leave the area in the past few years due to job transfers and promotions.

We meet lots of nice people but mostly through our church and children's activities. Not sure how it is for mature singles in downtown Charleston. Maybe someone with some experince will shed some light for us?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
I found Sarasota to be kind of old...

Old 06-14-2009, 08:50 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Sarasota does have a very large retirement population. BUT -- it also has quite a bit to offer. We have been vacationing in the area for 28 years. We first went in our early 20's. There was always night life for us as younger individuals...and lots to do for young families. There are quite a few young people who live there. They work the touristy jobs. Sarasota has quite a bit of cultural offerings -- theater, etc. It is much more densely populated and not far from Tampa -- a MAJOR airport/city.The beaches near Sarasota are WONDERFUL...Siesta Key is gorgeous -- as is Lido Key. Much nicer than IOP, SUllivan or Folly. That soft white sand.....beautiful. And because it faces west -- best sunsets with the sun melting into the ocean.

Problem -- Florida is one of those states hit hard by the recession, the housing bust, etc. I wonder if you would get a better deal on a house there than in Charleston. Prices have come down in Charleston but not at the same rate as many states. If Sarasota prices are still too high -- you could venture towards Bradenton or south to Venice.

Both cities have great restaurants.

I guess I'm not really helping here.....I figure you can't lose with either location.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:08 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,389 times
Actually considered Sarasota before we decided on Charleston.

Well more generally, we thought about Pinellas Cty, just north.

We spent 10 days there over a year ago... drove 700 miles in the 10 days, all around Pinellas Cty and spent 3 full days in Sarasota.

Initially we were going to spend one day in Sarasota and leave.. but we really really like it when we got there and stayed a full 3 days to more fully check Sarasota out.

But the more we saw.. the less we realized its appeal for us.

We did not like that Sarasota does not have a town appeal to it.. does not have a downtown to it, main street etc. Just a bunch of sections for people to live and no common thread holding it (just our opinion of course).

That is why we like Charleston. We can live in MP, DI or James Is etc and have Charleston right there, with its cultural amenities, ambience, all around city feel to it and downtown.

To me, Sarasota and Charleston are day and night. Depends what you like, so check out both personally

Michael
Another Yankee (Brooklyn, NY) moving South to Charleston, with some questions1

Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Sarasota does have a downtown -- check this out Downtown Merchants Association of Sarasota - Home St. Armand's Circle -- another great meeting place. Honestly -- we usually stick around there but do venture into Sarasota now and again.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,309 times
If I had a choice it would be Sarasota hands down. It's warmer in the winter which means you can go to the beach and the beaches are beautiful down there.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 AM

That's true -- if it is only in the winter that you'd be there -- Sarasota wins hands down for weather. We usually are there the week after Thanksgiving and have swam in the ocean. The water is cold though. But in 25+ years of going -- we've never had a week of bad weather during that time. Maybe a day of rain, a day of cool weather -- but never a fool week.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,325,924 times
I was working down in Sarasota a few years ago through the winter months, we went out on to the beach and it was windy and cold but that was January and Febuary....

Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 PM

162 posts, read 229,535 times
Anyone saying Sarasota doesn't have a downtown has no clue of what a downtown is. The guy writing that was probably so wasted he never actually got to downtown. The most ridiculous comment I've read on here....but it was a New Yorker...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area