Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times

Advertisements

What is their football team? I didnt know there were any teams outside of WVU and Marshall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 01:02 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
What is their football team? I didnt know there were any teams outside of WVU and Marshall.
hope you are just joking

Old 10-06-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
hope you are just joking
No I am not, and I would hardly count Marshall as a football team.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
No I am not, and I would hardly count Marshall as a football team.
Almost every college in WV has a football team that plays NCAA football at some level. It happens everywhere, so its not uncommon.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Almost every college in WV has a football team that plays NCAA football at some level. It happens everywhere, so its not uncommon.
Only one level matters. Division I, and in Division I only 4 conferences matter.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Only one level matters. Division I, and in Division I only 4 conferences matter.
Wow, so your saying that all the student athletes that play sports across the country and hundreds of schools are wasting their time?

Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Wow, so your saying that all the student athletes that play sports across the country and hundreds of schools are wasting their time?
Not wasting their time. If they enjoy it than go for it. They are just glorified local clubs. I mean I play in local sports leagues but I dont expect anyone to care, even locals. Locally WV has WVU to represent the state. All Mountaineers are proud tonight.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:10 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
D-II has scholarship athletes. Some students, (myself included) get their entire college education paid for because of NCAA D-II athletic scholarships. I have used that education to spark a pretty successful career. I have to figure that there are thousands of other people that can say the same thing across the country.

NFL scouts used to come and watch us play because we had an all-american safety, and i have seen D-II football players from WVIAC have NFL tryouts and get invited to the NFL combine, so acadmics isn't the only incentive to playing D-II football.

I also know several former D-II basketball players that have went on to play over-seas professionally and earn a decent living just playing a game they love.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
D-II has scholarship athletes. Some students, (myself included) get their entire college education paid for because of NCAA D-II athletic scholarships. I have used that education to spark a pretty successful career. I have to figure that there are thousands of other people that can say the same thing across the country.

NFL scouts used to come and watch us play because we had an all-american safety, and i have seen D-II football players from WVIAC have NFL tryouts and get invited to the NFL combine, so acadmics isn't the only incentive to playing D-II football.

I also know several former D-II basketball players that have went on to play over-seas professionally and earn a decent living just playing a game they love.
I guess the minor league is better than nothing.

Still I only care for the majors.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Everything in life is relative, and for a small school like WVSU, that $1 million gift is quite substantial. I believe it is important for that school and for the community. They have been under increased pressure from activity to their west in terms of program offerings, because there are some in that region who are spending money they don't really have like they just hit the lottery, and a gift like this helps to offset some of the negative influences present there. This is surely good news for WVSU.

I'll say one thing,... If somebody would give me a million dollars, I suspect I could do a great deal with it. That is a substantial sum of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
View detailed profiles of: