Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The largest job losses were in Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, Ill., (-3,500 jobs, -3%) and Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, Mich., (-3,500 jobs, -19%); followed by Northern Virginia (-3,200 jobs, -5%); and Charleston, W.V., (-2,900 jobs, -20%). Charleston, W.V. ,lost the highest percentage.
Hopefully this turns around soon.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yes this is very shocking. I am somewhat familiar with Northern Virginia.....there is still a lot of construction going on there. However they hire mostly illegal aliens now its the same in the Maryland portions of the DC area unfortunately.

I don't know why more construction doesn't happen in Charleston. Some have mentioned that West Virginia has a business unfriendly reputation. I've always thought it was very business friendly compared to Maryland, Pennsylvania and Ohio but there can always be lower taxes or less restrictions maybe that will help. I hope Beretta USA chooses West Virginia as it relocates its manufacturing facility from Maryland.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,110,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes this is very shocking. I am somewhat familiar with Northern Virginia.....there is still a lot of construction going on there. However they hire mostly illegal aliens now its the same in the Maryland portions of the DC area unfortunately.

I don't know why more construction doesn't happen in Charleston. Some have mentioned that West Virginia has a business unfriendly reputation. I've always thought it was very business friendly compared to Maryland, Pennsylvania and Ohio but there can always be lower taxes or less restrictions maybe that will help. I hope Beretta USA chooses West Virginia as it relocates its manufacturing facility from Maryland.
This "construction job loss" is misleading! Charleston was in the top 10 less than 3 years ago for construction job increase because we had a lot of big projects going on at the time. The truth is that some of those are finished now. It will pick back up though with a couple of other big projects coming soon including two new CAMC buildings (one a Cancer Center and the other an addition to there Memorial hospital). A few other buildings are going up around the city, and some being remodeled like the 10 story Ramada in downtown. It's not a big concern because Charleston has seen positive growth signs recently!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
The new Courtyard and office complex will also employ quite a few construction workers.

We were at Power Park and saw some buildings had been taken down and clean up started. Is this the site of the Cancer Center and/or the addition spoken about earlier?

Old 04-25-2013, 07:25 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
The new Courtyard and office complex will also employ quite a few construction workers.

We were at Power Park and saw some buildings had been taken down and clean up started. Is this the site of the Cancer Center and/or the addition spoken about earlier?
No. The cancer center is being built at the site of Watt Powell Park. They just tore down the old nursing home on Morris St (which the hospital already owned) to make room for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
View detailed profiles of: