Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 PM

304 posts, read 888,847 times

Advertisements

Ya'll will get a kick out of this!

Met up with a really neat lady while vacationing in Honobia, OK (look it up, there's about 10 houses!). She owned the cabins where we stayed.

In conversation about the area, mentioned how much it reminded me of WVA. She agreed, we started talking, and viola!

She invited to a big meal she'd invited about 12 other people too. While we arrived with pie, if I hadn't known she was from 'home' before, I would have realized it by the food she served. I noted such to my husband - told him it was almost the same foods, served the same way, as I recall summers in St. Albans.

Really neat to be so well reminded of home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,815 times
So turns out you two grew up a mere 5 miles apart? That's pretty ironic.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:29 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
It is a SMALL world. Got 2 good ones for you:

First have to explain to you the place where we were:
We were at Anegada, British Virgin Islands. Ever hear of it - no one has. It has about 100 residents, is about 3 miles long, cows roam the island, etc. The only motel is a neat place about a 1,000 years old and there are no locks on the doors (yes, a 1 story motel not hotel and your door is along the outside public walkway so anyone on the island could walk into your room. However, there is almost zero crime there so guess it is never a problem.) At the motel bar or the other 2 or so bars on the island there is an honor system - if there is no bartender on duty, you go make your own drink and just leave your money on the bar.

Told the bartender at our motel that we were from West Virginia. He tells us he has been to Clay, WV!!!!!

Most people born and raised in WV have never been to Clay. We about fell off our barstools (and we were sober). He was originally from NY and had a buddy from Clay.

Other small world happening:

Was in Roatan, Honduras and rented a car. Told the car rental guy we were from WV and he said "Oh, the Mountaineers!"

He said his brother-in-law is the kicker for USF (one of the two team who beat us last year) and is the only person from Roatan (or Honduras, I forget) to play college football. The family had moved to US at some point so he was a soccer player who was spotted by the HS football coach.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 AM

55 posts, read 235,853 times
I was in Roatan and the real estate agent I was speaking with down there was from Elkins. He had been with the Greenbrier Hotel real estate sales company prior to moving there. He had been in Honduras several years at the time, having married a lady from Roatan.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:06 AM

304 posts, read 888,847 times
Default an add on

My brother is out with his St. Louis scout troop. As a WV native himself, he designed a great trip for the boys:

West Virginia! They're rafting the New River and staying at Hawk's Nest. Black Water Falls, Pipestem, Tamarac, and a night at Blue Bend.

So they're on the bus, my brother is asleep and is woken for dinner - at Tudor's Biscuit World in St. Albans! You have to drive past it to get to the family land!

He called mom to tell her and said nothing has changed, in 47 years!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston