Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM

689 posts, read 1,657,729 times

Advertisements

As a teacher, it kills me to hear all of the bad PR surrounding CMS. I know there are good teachers, schools, events, etc going on. In honor of back to school...I think it would get the year off on the right foot if people would share their positive stories for a change.

Ready? GO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,681,135 times
I think this is a great idea, Jayhawks! I am not a product or an employee of CMS, but I refuse to believe all the negative hype. When people say they wouldn't step foot in CMS or all the schools suck, I find their views a bit extreme. No school district is perfect, not even the ones in the suburbs

Two of the most influential educators I came across are now administrators in CMS schools. I won't say names, but they left the "burbs" (my area of origin was more rural back then) and have gone to Charlotte to make a difference in their students' lives. I emailed one of them earlier this year and thanked her for everything and told her I am positive she is making a positive impact in her students.

I also want to say I saw that documentary on PBS a while back about teachers making a difference in inner city schools. That was a touching show to watch. One of them is a teacher from Waddell and she appears to be teaching her kids things that many never heard of or explore until they're well into college. She and her documentary colleagues are the reason there are kids who don't give up in spite of not having the best home lives. My former educators, who are now CMS administrators, are very well part of the reason I took the track I am now on...and to them I say thanks!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,142,829 times
I have some good news also. Even though they have dumped the kids the hundreds of teachers fired had into other classes, they are finding extra chairs for them to sit in. I talked to one teacher I know last week and she said that her class was so over crowded that there was no more room for tables and they were trying to find extra chairs. Another bit of good news is that a local school principal told his teachers that even though the class numbers far exceeded the limits that consideration would be given to this when they observed them teaching and wouldnt penalize the teacher because she now had 45 students and not the 28 she had last year.He knew that there would be less time for each student but he wouldnt blame the teachers...good news. This report is FACT...

Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,044,665 times
http://www.huntersvilleherald.com/story/20100820/mosaic-church-gives-back-north-meck-high (broken link)

Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,729 times
Awesome stories chicagocubs and ibrake!

Old 08-22-2010, 11:37 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I have some good news also. Even though they have dumped the kids the hundreds of teachers fired had into other classes, they are finding extra chairs for them to sit in. I talked to one teacher I know last week and she said that her class was so over crowded that there was no more room for tables and they were trying to find extra chairs. Another bit of good news is that a local school principal told his teachers that even though the class numbers far exceeded the limits that consideration would be given to this when they observed them teaching and wouldnt penalize the teacher because she now had 45 students and not the 28 she had last year.He knew that there would be less time for each student but he wouldnt blame the teachers...good news. This report is FACT...
You just can't help yourself, can you?

JayHawks is looking for positive stories of things happening in schools, not some contrived "good news".

CMS does in fact have many schools that are thriving despite budget cuts and other problems.

Here's some good news - with the opening of the new high schools, Rocky River and Hough, other schools will now have more manageable populations. East Meck for instance goes from 2100 down to about 1800 students

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/15/1623694/meet-the-new-school-in-town.html (broken link)

Last edited by lovesMountains; 08-22-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You just can't help yourself, can you?

JayHawks is looking for positive stories of things happening in schools, not some contrived "good news".

CMS does in fact have many schools that are thriving despite budget cuts and other problems.

Here's some good news - with the opening of the new high schools, Rocky River and Hough, other schools will now have more manageable populations. East Meck for instance goes from 2100 down to about 1800 students

Meet the new school in town - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/15/1623694/meet-the-new-school-in-town.html - broken link)
You tell what you know and I will tell what I know......hows that sound?. My report is true.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 AM

385 posts, read 890,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Counterpoint.

As of today my wife only has 18 kids in her class vs. the 26 she had last year. No doubt it will increase slightly over the next week, but hardly 45.

By the way, how as the drive in from York County this morning for all the grass is greener in suburbia? I noticed 77 was bumper to bumper all the way back to 485 even at 9 am.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM

445 posts, read 1,167,125 times
I bet your wife isn't a high school teacher. Ask some of them about their classes.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
I bet your wife isn't a high school teacher. Ask some of them about their classes.
Mine is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte