Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,943 times

Advertisements

Here in Michigan we list the actual square footage of the house that is for sale.
Like in mine they remeasured each room and calculated the actual square footage before it was placed online. (hallways, etc aren't included just livable space)

I am not really understanding how you can have a range? Is it best to assume the smaller number is the most accurate for livable space?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times
The actual square footage is just above the middle of the stated GLA (gross living area). For example if the range is 2000 - 2400 s.f., the home is about 2250 s.f. heated living area. This includes hallways as the GLA is calculated using exterior measurements. The actual square footage is disclosed on the listing sheet in MLS once the property has closed.

Occasionally an agent will measure each individual room and supply that information with a floor plan. (This is typically done for furniture placement)

In the case of a condominium unit, square footage is measured from interior wall to interior wall due to the type of ownership.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 12-02-2010 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
The actual square footage is just above the middle of the stated GLA (gross living area). For example if the range is 2000 - 2400 s.f., the home is about 2250 s.f. heated living area. This includes hallways as the GLA is calculated using exterior measurements. The actual square footage is disclosed on the listing sheet in MLS once the property has closed.

Occasionally an agent will measure each individual room and supply that information with a floor plan.
Thanks that helps. We don't include bathrooms either so this puts I different view as to how I was looking at it

Old 12-02-2010, 11:49 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
Isn't it silly? I think the change was made around 3 years ago, because when we started looking at houses in this area square footage was listed as one number. At some point during our search, a range began to appear. Our real estate agent gave us a "formula" for getting the actual square footage from the range; it was not the exact midpoint. We were told that the change was made from one number to a range to protect real estate agents from lawsuits. If I bought a house that was listed at 3500 square feet and I bought it and then measured it out and it was only 3475 square feet then I might sue the seller, including his agent. Seems like they should also be giving a range on lot size.... and maybe the street address too!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
Yes the MLS changed that several years ago. As agents, we are responsible for measuring the house and reporting an actual number when inputting the listing. Once the listing closes, the square footage is displayed on the MLS as a number.

I looked on the MLS for documentation and couldn't find it, but from what I remember the square footage range is calculated by taking the number reported and subtracting 10% for the lower end and adding 5% for the higher end of the range. The reported square footage is actually closer to the higher end of the range not just over the midpoint.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,688 times
I think the realtor for my old house measured the outside of the house and doubled it - for two floors, and that was the high-end of the range....

Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,914,217 times
When we're checking out houses, I'll look up the tax record for the property (easily found online) and it displays the accurate heated sq footage.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:53 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
Tax records are often not accurate, just so you are aware...

Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,756 times
Can we sue the tax authority when they don't have the correct # either?
It all seems kinda silly to me.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,303 times
You cannot not sue but if the sq ft is listed as more than your actual home then you can ask them to review it AND get a refund of over paid property taxes for the last 5 years!!! I had a client with that problem. They had a loft area on a 2 story home. Whne the tax man measure from the outside he did not subtract for the loft area on the second floor so they had been over paying a good bit. Call 311 and tell them you want to dispute the sq ft listed on your tax record they should connect you to the right people. It takes some time though. You have to wait for them to come measure. The wait for the review and then wait again for the refund...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte