Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,232 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good dr in LKN/N. Charlotte for plantar fascitis surgery. Not realy sure if I should go to an ortho or podiatrist. Want to hear from people who had this surgery and who they went to. Prefer LKN area or north Charlotte. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 04:59 AM

148 posts, read 423,672 times
Have you gone through the initial conservative regimen? If yes what kind of surgery are you looking for- excision of heel spurs or for the tears. If a diagnosis has not been made as yet then you can go to either ortho/podiatrist else ortho. ESWT is another choice nowadays.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:38 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,328 times
Have not had surgery, but I have this problem, received 2 cortisone shots in the heel has helped. Now my other heal is acting up. I received, from the ortho dr some stretches to do, and they do help. Just recently got some birkenstok (sp?) inserts from a shoe store in Florida (Ormond Beach area), not sure of any around here, didn't look. They support my arch and have helped. These are some of the options I've done to avoid having any surgery on my feet. Also, I've heard that Merrell Shoes have a good arch support and do help with plantar fascitis. Good Luck, i'll be checking back to see who has info on surgeons and how the surgery went......just in case.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
Also, I've heard that Merrell Shoes have a good arch support and do help with plantar fascitis.
I bought a pair of Dasko's (similar brand) and they are extremely comfortable and have great arch support. That is another brand to consider in the mean time before surgery.

My husband had plantar fascitis, and it went away on its own. That may also happen.

Good luck!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:33 PM

I have been though it all, even shockwave 6 months ago. I am in the 1% that conventional methods do not help. Worn orthodics every day for 15 years, wear night splint every single night. 4 rounds of cortazone shots, ice, stretching, taping, exercises, physical therapy, even shockwave. Nothing else left except surgery. I don't have heel spurs. Just the plantar fasciitus. Just trying to choose the best surgeon to do it. I would like to hear from people who have had the surgery.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:07 AM

457 posts, read 1,178,012 times
I had pain for years. Then I went to this guy in NY, but hey if you're desperate...anyway his case studies on his site might help you. Thomas M. Novella, D.P.M. - Podiatrist - New York City, NY - About Dr. Novella
He told me to stop wearing nite splints b/c even tho if felt tight in the back in was actually too loose in the front & being worsened/weakened. He gave me orthotics that another dr saw & said were like artwork & wanted to know who made them, b/c apparently it's a bit of art & science to get them done well. Lastly the final thing that really put an end to my pain was I had an internist who was a Castle Connelly recommended dr (a national website for docs recommending who they would go to see) who told me that chronic foot pain is often a symptom of Vitamin D deficiency. He did a bloodtest & sure enough i was very deficient. So I started taking 5,000 iu's per day & within a very short time, like a few weeks the pain & shooting pains were all gone (after years!). If I ever do the exercises that started it, I'll get pain again, but I just stay away from that. At least I can finally wear heals again! It's been years since the vitamin D kicked in & I'm still good. Lots of luck to you.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Not to pry, but are you overweight?

Several years ago, I had plantar fasciitis for 2 over years with little relief. I then went on a radical diet and lost over 25 pounds in about 6 weeks. This, combined with night-splints, stretching exercises, orthodics, and mega-doses of Tumeric (a natural anti-inflammatory, Swanson Premium Turmeric 720 mg 240 Caps - Swanson Health Products ) helped me get things under control. I'm now pain free without powerful drugs or surgery.

While I do feel that all of the above helped, the weight loss was a clear turning point. One of the most crappy things about plantar fasciitis is that you tend to reduce your activity level immensly, therefore you tend to gain even more weight, which tends to make the condition worse and more painful, which tends to make you even less active, and so on. It's a downward spiral.

Consider the risks of the surgery before you proceed. Many folks end up as bad or worse after the surgery. I was far too young to risk that, so I took matters into my own hands. The doctors simply weren't much help!

Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Chesspie, interesting. I am having a physical in April and will have bloodwork to determine that. One more thing to rule out. And as far as being overweight. Just a few pounds but not much and surely not at all when I developed this.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:44 PM

I just seem to be in that 1% that suffer no matter what. But I will look into all this and check it out. Don't think I will go to NY though. I am surprised I didn't get anyone here who has had the surgery to help me find the right doc. I see a podiatrist now but I do not like the way he does the surgery. everyone else I hear who has had it, the dr goes in from the side of the heel, not the bottom as this dr does.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 AM

286 posts, read 946,486 times
Advanced foot&ankle center
137 professional park dr.
Suite9 mooresville, nc 28117
704-662-8336
i just had surgery 6 weeks ago with dr. Massey, he is the best. I would highly reccomend this group to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte