Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:41 AM

90 posts, read 240,330 times

Advertisements

I am moving in mid august and i would like to purchase a navigation system that will be able to handle all the new sub divisions that pop up all the time? Does anyone have any experince with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 AM

628 posts, read 2,078,590 times
i have a GPS and I don't know of any Nav system that will work with the constant new roads..My system plugs into my PC for map updating but still does not give private roads and my subdivision is not on it for that matter. It's still one of the handiest tools ever.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:15 AM

132 posts, read 449,513 times
We've got a Magellan Roadmate 860T (4th gen of the system that's in Hertz vehicles). It has most places in there, and given that it's been out a year, the map is due to be updated in August 2007 (date given on their web site).

Magellan does have a slightly newer line, but since that's been out for a few months, their map isn't due to be updated in the near future. I don't know if it will have the same updates as the one coming out in August.

We're pretty happy with it--it's one of those that talks at you, lets you know when to make a turn and such.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 AM

90 posts, read 240,330 times
Does anyone use the tom tom

Old 07-20-2007, 07:51 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
It has less to do with the hardware and more the software and organization supporting it. Check the websites and you can see how often they update it and when the next update is due. Even those updates though are reliant upon community information, so if they aren't told it doesn't get added. In most cases new roads take 12 to 18 months to get on a mapping system, whether it be Tom Tom, Google or City planners.

As far as hardware I have used a few and all of them were OK.. I usually prefer the vuilt in units, but as far as add ons, I could decern a different between the big 3.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:58 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
We have a Garmin and LOVE it! Extremely user friendly and great quality. And you can take it with you on the run...

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=6385#

Old 07-20-2007, 10:03 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenyc View Post
I am moving in mid august and i would like to purchase a navigation system that will be able to handle all the new sub divisions that pop up all the time? Does anyone have any experince with that.

I recommend Garmin! If you have your cell phone service with Sprint you can get it on there for like $10 a month. That's what I have! You can download updates (at no additional charge) anytime. I know other cell providers have navigation systems also, but this is the one I have experience with. It has been a GREAT help since I moved here last year. Especially with the way street have a habit of changing names here in Charlotte

Old 07-20-2007, 10:18 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToYorkSC View Post
I recommend Garmin! If you have your cell phone service with Sprint you can get it on there for like $10 a month. That's what I have! You can download updates (at no additional charge) anytime. I know other cell providers have navigation systems also, but this is the one I have experience with. It has been a GREAT help since I moved here last year. Especially with the way street have a habit of changing names here in Charlotte
You pay for GPS? Is this so you can update software? My GPS is free.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 AM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenyc View Post
Does anyone use the tom tom
I have Tom Tom and love it! No, it does not have newer subdivisions on it, so for mine I just plug in the nearest address on the street our sub is off of, and use that as "home". The portability is great, used it walking around Atlanta and had it in my bag and was able to just listen to it telling me to turn left or right etc. Using it to find my way around Charlotte area has been FABULOUS. I don't know what I'd do without it now, it's so nice to not have to pull over to look at a map all the time just to get my bearings.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:08 AM

348 posts, read 1,360,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
You pay for GPS? Is this so you can update software? My GPS is free.
With what company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte