Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 11:35 AM

70 posts, read 330,153 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of North Carolina (Greensboro), and I have spent a good bit of time in Charlotte. However, my last visit was in 2002 and I have since forgotten most of what was there.

What is there to do in Charlotte? I'm going for a week, and I would like to take advantage of the best stuff. So where would be the best places to go, and the best things to do?

I'm also going to NCSA for a while to visit (up in Winston-Salem), anything I should look at while I'm there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,669,047 times
it's changed a TON since you've been here!

You can see Lion King at Belk Theatre (first show i've seen that i could go back for everytime!)

You can go to Body Worlds exhibit at Discovery Place (I can't wait to go)

Pick one of many, many downtown restaurants and bars (I suggest staying downtown if you can to be in the middle of everything)

hhmmmmm....now i'm having a brainfart....i'll try to get back to ya!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 AM

Oh yes, and check out the National White Water Center...best in the world and home to Olympic Trials!!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:08 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Oh yes, and check out the National White Water Center...best in the world and home to Olympic Trials!!
Seconded

Oh and I am new.. But Body Works is much more fun.

I think we have some things coming up in August too.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Belle92 View Post
I'm a native of North Carolina (Greensboro), and I have spent a good bit of time in Charlotte. However, my last visit was in 2002 and I have since forgotten most of what was there.

What is there to do in Charlotte? I'm going for a week, and I would like to take advantage of the best stuff. So where would be the best places to go, and the best things to do?

I'm also going to NCSA for a while to visit (up in Winston-Salem), anything I should look at while I'm there?
Check out the Visualite Theater for cool music in the Elizabeth neighborhood near uptown - great little venue, wonderful acoustics. The Visulite Theatre - Home

Or how about some AAA baseball? Take in a Charlotte Knights baseball game. Charlotte Knights Baseball - White Sox Triple-A Affiliate (broken link)

Spend a day at Paramounts Carowinds - I go just for the water park section. www3.paramountparks.com/carowinds/

Stop in at the Penguin just off Central Avenue for a fantastic hamburger and fun people watching.

Play a round of frisbee (really "disc") golf at Reedy Creek Park - a beautiful park to spend an afternoon in.

And how about the live free music at Birkdale Village on a Friday evening? Birkdale Village Events

Lots to do, you just have to look Pick up a copy of the Charlotte Observer's Friday paper, any Friday. It contains an entertainment section that will tell you what is going on that particular weekend.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Pick up a copy of the Charlotte Observer's Friday paper, any Friday. It contains an entertainment section that will tell you what is going on that particular weekend.
Also look in Creative Loafing...

Old 07-23-2007, 12:28 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
If you havent been here since 2002 definite make a trip uptown and check out the new additions to the skyline especially coming in from the west side.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:39 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Yeah, I have lived here since 01 and its changed a lot. New basketball arena uptown, so some of the streets were altered a bit. The old convention center was imploded. Light rail SHOULD be up and running soon. Lots more restuarants uptown now, Levine Museum of the New South, Imaginon. Only thing missing is shopping and thats coming with the epicenter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte