Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 PM

6 posts, read 7,489 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

we are a young professional couple with a 3 years old daughter moving from Chicago to Charlotte area in middle of September. We are looking to rent a place in the $1,500 to $1,900/month price range. As a future stay-home-mom, we would like to find a place in a safe neighborhood, family oriented and with the “neighborhoody” feeling (preferably with some “walkable” areas around) and easy access to good daycare schools. My husband will work in the southwest area of Charlotte. Being a European (just live in US for 2 years) I am also a little bit worried with the crime rate statistics in the Charlotte area… it is that true?
Can you please recommend us a good/safe neighborhood where we should look?
Thanks

Last edited by bibipt; 07-11-2011 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:00 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,313 times
There are plenty of safe areas in Charlotte but walkable areas are somewhat rare and usually the most expensive areas. Definately focus your search on the southern part of Charlotte and Matthews. Dilworth is really the only walkable family friendy area but I'm not sure about your price range there. Otherwise, check out the areas around South Park Mall and Ballantyne - as well as those neighborhoods in between the two. There are plenty of day care options in all of these places.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 PM

958 posts, read 1,725,583 times
Da bears

Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,976 times
You might want to check out Davidson. The closer to the University the better.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:02 AM

If her husband is working in the southwest area, I do not recommend Davidson.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Thank you for your input!
What do you think about Pinville? It's that a safe area? And what about the neighborhoods in the SC area? Any recommendation for that area? I looked the Davidson and it looks fantastic... (exactly the feeling we were looking for) but unfortunately seems a little bit far away for my Husband’s work (near Carowinds). We are planning a visit trip for the beginning of August and I would like to focus my search only in the worthily neighborhoods. I will definitely check Dilworth, South Park and Ballantyne. Any other advice? Thanks a lot!!!Thank you for your input! (really)

Old 07-12-2011, 11:44 AM

I don't have a great impression of Pineville, but others may know more. The schools are not as good for one thing. Pineville has lots of shopping (including a mall) along with all the traffic associated with it. In South Carolina - check out Fort Mill including Baxter Village - a walkable community in Fort Mill. People really seem to love Fort Mill schools.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:14 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
I agree with ex-burgher - check out Baxter Village. Great schools too. Very safe area crimewise. There is a YMCA right in the village you can walk to with a nice waterpark for the little one. Plus it is right by I-77 so it is easy to get to.

The thing I don't like about it is the small lots, but since you are European I think you would be used to that.

I would skip Pineville too with your price range.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Baxter sounds good! I am defenitely used to "smaller" places. That won't be a problem for us. Last question: what about Tega Cay and Waxhaw... to far away from "the city"? I am definetly a "city" person...I would like to feel that I am living in a neigborhood with people "around" and easy acess to “amenities“ and thigs to do. Once again, thank you for your opinions! It helped a lot!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:47 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,729 times
Just something to keep in mind re: Baxter.

A friend of mine recently moved because the street that she was on in Baxter was like a freeway. She didn't feel like her children were safe {her dog got run over, too}

Just keep that in mind when you are looking in there. She loves the area, the schools, etc. but says that many streets are unsafe trafficwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte