Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,494 times

Advertisements

I need to replace two capacitors on a plasma TV power board. Appears to be a common problem with some Samsung and Philips plasma TVs.

I don't own a solder iron and am scared to do this myself. I have watched videos on youtube and the process should not take more than 10 minutes.

Can anyone here help me out or suggest someone who can help me with this work? Willing to pay $20 and can provide the replacement parts.

Thought it was worth a shot posting this here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I need to replace two capacitors on a plasma TV power board. Appears to be a common problem with some Samsung and Philips plasma TVs.

I don't own a solder iron and am scared to do this myself. I have watched videos on youtube and the process should not take more than 10 minutes.

Can anyone here help me out or suggest someone who can help me with this work? Willing to pay $20 and can provide the replacement parts.

A lot of the boards, now, are manufactured using wave soldering vs the old hand soldering method. That is usually for a reason. Does it appear to be hand soldered or wave soldered?

Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Please excuse my ignorance but how can you tell the difference by looking at it?

Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance but how can you tell the difference by looking at it?
As a rule, if it's wave soldered the soldering is all smooth. Wave soldering is done in a machine.

I'm just asking, because if it's wave soldered, I would go through official channels for repair or replacement of the board.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Okay. I will check when I get home.

I got the TV for free so I really don't want to spend the $100s of dollars that the official Philips repair folks charge. Most people on the interwebs have been able to fix the problem themselves by buying replacement caps and re-soldering themselves. I don't care if I damage the board since it did not cost me anything.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Okay. I will check when I get home.

I got the TV for free so I really don't want to spend the $100s of dollars that the official Philips repair folks charge. Most people on the interwebs have been able to fix the problem themselves by buying replacement caps and re-soldering themselves. I don't care if I damage the board since it did not cost me anything.
Without seeing the board, I'll take your word for it.

I've done this sort of repair, at jobs but haven't used my soldering iron in years & don't know where it is, offhand. To buy a new soldering iron plus solder & solder wick, I'd be in the hole financially before driving to Charlotte.

As some of the modern boards incorporate components as etched in elements in the board, if I looked at it & saw that, I wouldn't make the repair with a soldering iron, anyway. Sometimes you get lucky & other times you accidently fry an etched in component.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:

With all due respect, unless someone is really hurting for money, $20 isn't going to get anyone to your home. It's never just 10 minutes, and it's not worth getting trapped in someone else's problem for $20.

You can try craigslist's services or gigs sections.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
PM sent.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks guys. I have a few responses. I meant that I would be willing to drop it off or bring it to someone's home for $20.

With all the lightening storms lately, a lot of the Philips and Samsung flat panel TVs are breaking. Usually they will not turn on. Repair shops are charging $300-500 to fix what is often $4 worth of parts and a small solering job. Here is more information if anyone wants it:

Picture of busted caps on power supply board:

Full forum thread:
Flashing red indicator light on a Philips 42" plasma tv - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. I have a few responses. I meant that I would be willing to drop it off or bring it to someone's home for $20.

With all the lightening storms lately, a lot of the Philips and Samsung flat panel TVs are breaking. Usually they will not turn on. Repair shops are charging $300-500 to fix what is often $4 worth of parts and a small solering job. Here is more information if anyone wants it:

Picture of busted caps on power supply board:

Full forum thread:
Flashing red indicator light on a Philips 42" plasma tv - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource
Bulging capacitors should be covered by a hidden warranty. This cost Dell billions a few years back on the GX-270. I'm sure you've done your research and the warranty probably doesn't exist but if it doesn't then that's a real bad sign for the manufacturer. The problem with hidden warranties is that you have to ask about them directly.

Domed capacitors are a sign of manufacturer's error.

Only thing though is I personally own a Phillips 42" but it's LCD not plasma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte