Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,138 times

Advertisements

Looking to go camping with 1 other family. This will be the first time for both of us(well minus girl scouts). Looking to rent small cabins but still want a camping feel without pitching tents. Do not want indoor plumbing, have to cook on the fire, etc. Just a nice relaxing weekend away from the hustle and bustle of life. Would also love to stay about an hour-2 hours from South Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,494 times
We like the Boone KOA:
Boone KOA | Campground Photos | Camping in North Carolina | KOA Campgrounds

I think its the highest KOA on the east coast and gets chilly at night. We also like Fancy Gap KOA:
Fancy Gap / Blue Ridge Parkway KOA | Camping in Virginia | KOA Campgrounds

I think both have small cabins for rentals. Owners have been nice at both places. Boone has more stuff do to and is about 5 minutes from town. Its also an easy drive to the blue ridge parkway.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM

83 posts, read 226,331 times
I would like to give you places here in NC, but I from what you asked for, I would suggest checking out the state parks in SC. They have a lot of parks which have modest cabins for very reasonable rates.

My wife and I prefer rustic camping, in the middle of nowhere type camping, but we just had a baby, so we're thinking of hitting up the state park cabins, as a way to ease back into camping.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
If you take Albemarle Road east for about 40 miles , you will be in a good area for camping , and there are cabin rentals available starting at $90 nightly , upon my last check. They are located in a National Forest , and it is rather nice out there , although I have yet to gather the cajones to fall asleep out there alone , especially in the woods. I'd likely rest during the day , then stay up all night. Visit the Forest Service webpage , follow the prompts , and click 'Uwharrie'. Good luck!!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 PM

314 posts, read 1,136,686 times
We really liked Deep Creek. We went there last summer and stayed in one of the small cabins.

A Smokey Mountain Campground near Bryson City, NC

Old 09-13-2011, 05:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,317,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snbhamilton View Post
Looking to go camping with 1 other family. This will be the first time for both of us(well minus girl scouts). Looking to rent small cabins but still want a camping feel without pitching tents. Do not want indoor plumbing, have to cook on the fire, etc. Just a nice relaxing weekend away from the hustle and bustle of life. Would also love to stay about an hour-2 hours from South Charlotte.
It's a little walk there and back, but I assure you it is worth it.

Mt. LeConte Lodge @ 6593'

Last edited by mullman; 09-13-2011 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte