Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,927 times

Advertisements

Hello i live in the concord area and me, my daughter, and my fiance are desperatly looking for a home to rent in the cabarrus/iredell county area asap! We are currently renting now and have been renting for the past 7 months. We want to move because our landlord is lazy and not doing his job. We pay our rent on time every month and we can pay up to $500. My finace has been employed at his job for the past 3 years and he makes about 1,900 a month. I am self employed and receive child support so us not having money isnt the issue, its finding a decent home with our credit. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 02:03 PM

763 posts, read 822,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrivens View Post
Hello i live in the concord area and me, my daughter, and my fiance are desperatly looking for a home to rent in the cabarrus/iredell county area asap! We are currently renting now and have been renting for the past 7 months. We want to move because our landlord is lazy and not doing his job. We pay our rent on time every month and we can pay up to $500. My finace has been employed at his job for the past 3 years and he makes about 1,900 a month. I am self employed and receive child support so us not having money isnt the issue, its finding a decent home with our credit. Please help
I

You have no money issues and are able to pay up to $500 per month? Am I missing something?

I have a wonderful Cuban family as neighbors. He pays $1400 per month rent. I asked him why he didn't just buy a house since it would likely be cheaper. He said he couldn't since he abandoned his house in Miami to move here (Lake Norman area) to get his kids away from gangs, etc. So, banks being as picky as they are, "Forget about it" as they say in NYC.

P.S. $500 a month will get you into some ghettos maybe.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:08 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Money is an issue if $500 is the limit.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM

385 posts, read 890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I have a wonderful Cuban family as neighbors. He pays $1400 per month rent. I asked him why he didn't just buy a house since it would likely be cheaper. He said he couldn't since he abandoned his house in Miami to move here (Lake Norman area) to get his kids away from gangs, etc. So, banks being as picky as they are, "Forget about it" as they say in NYC.

How is the fact that you have a neighborhood that
...walked away from his obligation to repay a loan
...that is paying almost as much rent as the OP takes home
...will soon be screwing his landlord in the same fashion as he moves on to the next place that isn't full gangs...
relevant to the the OP's question???

Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmetto75 View Post
...will soon be screwing his landlord in the same fashion as he moves on to the next place that isn't full gangs...
It's not relevant but....."forget about it"

I find it hard to believe the guy "walked away" because of gangs...

Old 11-10-2011, 09:52 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
There are some rental homes available in Kannapolis for around $500 per month. They will not be very nice on the inside though. Contrary to what the other poster said, I wouldn't say you are limited to homes in the "ghetto." You probably won't find one in the nicer parts of town, but a few shady characters and a little more property crime doesn't equal ghetto. If you look you should be able to find something though.

A lot of people just have no idea how cheap property is here in Kannapolis/Cabarrus County. We've considered moving & renting our house out and would probably ask $725-$750 a month... and that's for a completely renovated 3br/1ba with 2 car garage, new kitchen, nice hardwoods, new central HVAC, safe neighborhood etc. Not a bad deal for 1000 sq. ft and a cute house! Find ones that are a little smaller, haven't had all the updates, don't have a garage or fence and you start getting in the <$600/month range.

I think your best bet is to contact a few property management companies, be upfront about your situation, and hope you get lucky and find one that is willing to work with you. It would probably make a huge difference if you could offer more money down, even if it means you have to try and save for a few months before moving. Excellent references would also help, so if you and your current landlord aren't getting along I'd try to work on that so they will at least put a good word in for you.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM

459 posts, read 699,380 times
Where does your fiance work? If you don't mind the commute there are some affordable rentals in Iredell

Old 11-11-2011, 10:22 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
well he didn't even say this himself, but I got the impression he was implying that his neighbors credit was bad due to walking away from his home yet was still able to qualify for a $1,400/month lease?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
It is an unusual sitiation. He was paying mortgage on a house in Miami and he couldn't get rid of it, so he left for the safety of his kids. He is paying a substantial amount of rent and it probably would be cheaper if he were able to purchase. When I asked him why he didn't purchase, he explained the above.

I suppose that if one is concerned with the safety of their children, one will take whatever measure neccessary for their safety.

I don't know if this guy will ever screw his current landlord that lives in California. But, he is a wonderful neighbor and participates in community efforts like landscaping, etc. His house is spotless and his children are nice and well behaved. His parents also live with him. He has a fairly descent job and also does odd jobs for pay.

I am afraid that his situation isn't unique during hard times. I don't know the guys background other than what he told me. All I know is that he is a good guy, supports his family, cares for his kids, pays taxes, and is an asset to our community. He sacraficed his credit to get his kids out of harm's way.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
well he didn't even say this himself, but I got the impression he was implying that his neighbors credit was bad due to walking away from his home yet was still able to qualify for a $1,400/month lease?
This young man was living in another house in the same neighborhood recently. The owner of the first house he was renting went into foreclosure and he was forced to leave. I contacted the owner of the place he is now renting and recommended him. Since the owner lives in California, he was glad to have someone that would take care of his place and pay rent to move in. Since I am on the HOA, he respected my recommendation. It has worked out greatly. He has been in the area for two years now and has never missed a payment.

Times are hard. There are tons of vacant homes in the county. You can be assured that landlords aren't as picky as they used to be concerning leases. Landlords are more willing to be flexible especially if they can have a tenant that is recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte