Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Yes, getting back on track - I want to know if that is true that the Chik-Fil-A in Concord allows someone to preach over their loudspeakers, cause that is just plainly odd. Can someone please tell me if that is true or not??? That is what JanuaryGirl said or maybe I misunderstood. I have never known Chik-Fil-A to allow anyone to evangelize - well, actually, I have never known any fast food restaurant to do that.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:57 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, getting back on track - I want to know if that is true that the Chik-Fil-A in Concord allows someone to preach over their loudspeakers, cause that is just plainly odd. Can someone please tell me if that is true or not??? That is what JanuaryGirl said or maybe I misunderstood. I have never known Chik-Fil-A to allow anyone to evangelize - well, actually, I have never known any fast food restaurant to do that.
Quote:
But . . . are you saying they have a Chik-Fil-A located on Concord Mills Blvd that allows "preachers" to use the speaker system to "spread the word" over the air to passers-by?

Yes, I am completely serious! I am referring to the Chick-Fil-A across the street from Concord Mills. Not over the speakers inside the restaurant, it's on the restaurant's grounds right outside... but I mean RIGHT outside, I can't imagine it's not affiliated with the restaurant. On Sundays (not sure if it's every Sunday... but I believe every Sunday I've driven by), in the grass right outside the restaurant by the street, they have a giant PA system with a podium, multiple large speakers aimed at Concord Mills Blvd., and usually 3-5 people who take turns preachers through the mics! I'm talking full-on-straight-up "Heathens REPENT! Sinners Lord Jesus find the light of our savior blah blah" preaching!

And it is LOUD. Once as I was driving by I damn near crashed my car, sounded like someone took a megaphone and stuck it in the window! My dad lives up off of Derita past the mall and you can faintly hear it outside his apartment. Within two weeks of moving to the area I swear I Googled "Chick-Fil-A religious" just to find out what the deal was.... so needless to say, I wasn't really surprised that they had a religious bent or that they're not in favor of homosexuality. I'm too lazy to officially "boycott" and stuff like their political bent doesn't matter so much to me, but the obnoxiousness of the preaching is enough to keep me away. My dad recently moved down from the north though, he gets a kick out of it! Says it makes him feel like he's "really living in The South" hahaha!

What I think is hilarious is that I just figured this was totally normal at ALL Chick-Fil-A's... the Concord one is the only location I drive by regularly, but I just figured their schtick was they were closed on Sundays but had preachers outside! Was totally surprised when I checked this thread and no one knew what I was talking about!

Last edited by JanuaryGirl; 12-04-2011 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 12-04-2011, 06:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post

Yes, I am completely serious! I am referring to the Chick-Fil-A across the street from Concord Mills. Not over THEIR speakers inside the restaurant, it's on the restaurant's grounds right outside. On Sundays (not sure if it's every Sunday... but I believe every Sunday I've driven by), in the grass right outside the restaurant by the street, they have a giant PA system with a podium, multiple large speakers aimed at Concord Mills Blvd., and usually 3-5 people who take turns preachers through the mics! I'm talking full-on-straight-up "Heathens REPENT! Sinners Lord Jesus find the light of our savior blah blah" preaching!

And it is LOUD. Once as I was driving by I damn near crashed my car, sounded like someone took a megaphone and stuck it in the window! My dad lives up off of Derita past the mall and you can faintly hear it outside his apartment. Within two weeks of moving to the area I swear I Googled "Chick-Fil-A religious" just to find out what the deal was.... so needless to say, I wasn't really surprised that they had a religious bent or that they're not in favor of homosexuality.

What I think is hilarious is that I just figured this was totally normal at ALL Chick-Fil-A's... the Concord one is the only location I drive by regularly, but I just figured their schtick was they were closed on Sundays but had preachers outside! Was totally surprised when I checked this thread and no one knew what I was talking about!
I totally believed you.

I happened upon them at the Cherry Hil Mall, within days of their opening a good number of years ago. I got something & went on my way. The next several times that I was there & went to go into the restaurant I was accosted by a group from a rather infamous church in South Jersey while the employees looked on & smiled. It was very obvious that it was with the blessing of the employees. I also assumed that it was their "thing" & avoided that Chick Fil A & all others after that.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
This happens sometimes. Not every Sunday. I haven't seen them in sometime and I live in the area. I think they are there during race week

They don't appear to be on ChickFilA property, but in the strip mall parking lot or on the grass, between Concord Mills Parkway and the parking lot. Not sure, but they see close enough to make me think the store was ok with it. I can't imagine that they would promote it because some of it is pretty over the top I would think that you would need a permit to assemble in public like this. I'm curious now...

Again, haven't seen them in a while, so maybe they have stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post

Yes, I am completely serious! I am referring to the Chick-Fil-A across the street from Concord Mills. Not over the speakers inside the restaurant, it's on the restaurant's grounds right outside... but I mean RIGHT outside, I can't imagine it's not affiliated with the restaurant. On Sundays (not sure if it's every Sunday... but I believe every Sunday I've driven by), in the grass right outside the restaurant by the street, they have a giant PA system with a podium, multiple large speakers aimed at Concord Mills Blvd., and usually 3-5 people who take turns preachers through the mics! I'm talking full-on-straight-up "Heathens REPENT! Sinners Lord Jesus find the light of our savior blah blah" preaching!

And it is LOUD. Once as I was driving by I damn near crashed my car, sounded like someone took a megaphone and stuck it in the window! My dad lives up off of Derita past the mall and you can faintly hear it outside his apartment. Within two weeks of moving to the area I swear I Googled "Chick-Fil-A religious" just to find out what the deal was.... so needless to say, I wasn't really surprised that they had a religious bent or that they're not in favor of homosexuality. I'm too lazy to officially "boycott" and stuff like their political bent doesn't matter so much to me, but the obnoxiousness of the preaching is enough to keep me away. My dad recently moved down from the north though, he gets a kick out of it! Says it makes him feel like he's "really living in The South" hahaha!

Last edited by baybook; 12-04-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
They don't appear to be on ChickFilA property, but in the strip mall parking lot or on the grass, between Concord Mills Parkway and the parking lot. Not sure, but they see close enough to make me think the store was ok with it.
Nobody on this forum knows whether this event has anything to do with the ChickFilA franchise. Instead, people make an assumption and report it as fact. Baybrook, thanks for disclosing that you aren't sure about this and clearly disclosing your opinion as such.

And to the would-be boycotters: Who do you think you are going to hurt with this boycott? Do you really think enough people are going to boycott ChickFilA to make the corporation even take notice? At most, a few stores are going notice a slight reduction in sales and will reduce hours for a few part-timers. That's it. Your boycott is going to take a few dollars out of the hands of a few 17 year old kids who are working part-time to save for college. Have at it.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,741,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Nobody on this forum knows whether this event has anything to do with the ChickFilA franchise. Instead, people make an assumption and report it as fact.
As I said, "I can't imagine it's not associated with the restaurant." I'm not reporting anything as fact, but anyone who's seen them 10+ times like I have would make the same conclusion. I've seen them in the median, but I've also seen them on the grounds and basically right at the restaurant. I've seen their equipment on the grounds of the restaurant. The owner (or founder?) of Chick-Fil-A is very religious, the company is affiliated with religious charities and religious community outreach, so it's not a giant leap of the imagination.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,920 times
Here is a quote from what I am assuming is the GM of this store. I honestly didnt think the store would sponsor something like this because it is a turn off.... Seems like they don't sponsor it at all. And that sucks for them... because the assumption is that they do

Business Response from Jeremy
I am the General Manager at this location Concord Mills Chick-fil-A. I just wanted to inform you on your comments. Concord Mills Chickfila has no affiliation with the Preachers or Protestors in front of our store. If you notice when they are out front they are on the Sidewalk which is the City of Concord property, they have permits everytime they are out there. As a business owner we are not allowed to take out permits on the land in front or behind our location. If you were to come dine with us on these nights, you would notice we have signs up expressing our apologies for the organizations in front of our store. We have hundreds of customers call in every year just like yourself who think the same. Christian Business it matches up just riding by that we would allow preachers in front of our store. But I can assure you that our business is impacted everytime this event occurs. They target chickfila because we are known for our background, this intersection in which they stand is the busiest intersection in North Carolina on Saturdays so in return its the best location for them to try and impact as many people as possible. They way they are reaching out to people is not the correct and Christian way to approach society. Once again I apologize but we simply cant make any moves towards getting them off our property until the City of Concord puts an end of allowing them permits. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Nobody on this forum knows whether this event has anything to do with the ChickFilA franchise. Instead, people make an assumption and report it as fact. Baybrook, thanks for disclosing that you aren't sure about this and clearly disclosing your opinion as such.

And to the would-be boycotters: Who do you think you are going to hurt with this boycott? Do you really think enough people are going to boycott ChickFilA to make the corporation even take notice? At most, a few stores are going notice a slight reduction in sales and will reduce hours for a few part-timers. That's it. Your boycott is going to take a few dollars out of the hands of a few 17 year old kids who are working part-time to save for college. Have at it.

Last edited by baybook; 12-04-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM

393 posts, read 652,514 times
Is there something wrong with the owner of Chick-fil-A being religious? I know one thing. The employees of Chick-fil-A are the most polite employees of any fast food company in America today. There is a reason for this! They will not allow a customer to be treated poorly. This is partly because the owner is a Christian and he believes in treating people like he would like to be treated. Its a business model that's highly successful.
I highly doubt that this is actually going on INSIDE the restaurant and if so please do post the link to a reliable source. If not I would take this thread with a grain of salt.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman704 View Post
Trust me, all you dudes and chicks holding hands and kissing when I'm taking my friends' kids out for dinner when I baby sit will not be missed.
How many, exactly how many times have you witnessed this and what specifically was happening (Holding hands!! OMG OMG OMG SHOCK!! ) and where? And, how does that compare to the behavior of heterosexual couples you see in public?

If you don't like to see PDA, fine, neither do I, but outside of San Francisco or heavily gay-clienteled establishments, I have NEVER seen a gay couple doing any sort of PDA whatsoever, not even holding hands.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM

205 posts, read 647,564 times
Quote:
Well, it looks like the accusation has been addressed by the store. I was pretty darn shocked with the accusation because I have never seen this at any other CFA on Sunday. Also given that they are CLOSED on Sunday also should be considered.

I do see those "roadside preachers" from time to time. One was just to the side of a Bojangles last week. I guess they must be behind this preaching too. LoL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte