Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 09:14 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How strange that I know so many muslims who are n[ot] terrorists.....
.......not terrorists.....YET. MMWWWAAHAHAHAhahahah. they've got you THINKING they're hard working patriotic 'muslim-americans' but when you least expect it............WHAM.....blowin sht up. they've got you mesmerized and thru this show can get you to THINK they are just normal people.....looooook into my eyes...

if only they wore signs on their back.....'terrorist'.....'normal muslim'...etc....

(eman1200 neither confirms nor denies the validity of anything that was said in this post. eman1200 and it's affiliates cannot be held liable for any muslim or non-muslim who may or may not have been offended by this post. no C-D posters were hurt in the making of this post. staring too long into the hypnotic gif within this post can definitely give you a headache. blowing things up is bad, do not try that at home. I still want a bagel. by the way, what the fridge does this thread have to do with Charlotte?)

we now return you to your regularly scheduled C-D thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 09:30 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
Turkey is one of my favorite countries. But you can hardly compare it with England or France. I have seen Americans and other Europeans being spit upon in the city of Istanbul (Asian side) for not wearing Arab garb and being American or British. It is not an accepting world unless you give up yours and adopt to theirs completely. It is a country of Turks. You won't see a diversity of Europeans, Africans, and Asians there. Naturally, it you won't hear the comments or see the religious rants there like you would in other countries as they are all the same religion and race except for a few different sects.

Congrats to Lowes for practicing their freedom of expression.
You are badly informed if you think the KKK (or it's equivalent-maybe the Florida Family association!) doesn't exist.

No- I agree that you can't compare England and Turkey-for many many reasons ie size of the country,population, culture etc etc.

I think you need to be clear whether you're talking about Turks or Arabs.
Yes I can imagine the Arabs would spit on you-I was spat on as a nurse in the UK by a patient from the arab emirates merely because he didn't want to do his breathing exercises and I was a woman asking him.
I first visited Turkey 46 years ago with my parents and we took the channel ferry to France and then drove to Turkey-including Istanbul.
My parents never had problems with the attitude of the Turks.
You should also know that there are many people from Europe, including the UK and Germany who own homes and/or live in Turkey and it has been a very popular holiday destination for Europeans since the early 90s.
In some ways they have adapted to the ways of Turkey and are accepted by the people, but I doubt that many have converted to Muslims.

In the most recent poll conducted by Sabanci University, 83% of Turks revealed they were Muslim. Of that, 16% said they were "extremely religious", 39% saying they were "somewhat religious", and 32% saying they were "not religious". 3% of Turks declare themselves with no religious beliefs.
Hardly a country of Muslim extremists.

As for France some of the rudest, most unfriendly, most arrogant people I've met have been French. You know what they say about the French- don't worry if they don't seem to like you as a foreigner-many of them don't even like themselves!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,502,271 times
UNLOCKED! COOL!

ok, so here's a serious post/thought.......

comparing the two recent 'boycotting' threads....this one and the chik-fil-a one. I agree with both....a person's right to support or not support a business, and a business supporting a tv show, or it's concept, by advertising or not advertising on it. with me so far?

the difference here is, while one person or a subset of people not supporting a business MOST LIKELY will not impact that business, MULTIPLE (I think someone said 64 or so) businesses pulling their ad campaigns (aka dollars) from a show WILL most likely impact that show. if no one, or not enough companies spend money in advertising on that particular show, it will most likely be pulled. agree? maybe? and that, I wholeheartedly support in this case.

man, what does a guy have to do to get a bagel around here?!??!

Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Lowe's, and other advertisers, are peacefully supporting our way of life with no need to spit on anyone or fly planes into buildings. Huge difference in the way we conduct our selves as the ture American ideal. I support non-violence and will shop at Lowe's as their opinion matters in business and community as much as any real American, not just living in fear of hate groups who attempt to manuipulate our superior culture.
The "Future American Ideal" phrase sounds scary to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 76,435 times
Kabulvision - A New Lowe - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 12/13/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

LOL at clip 'One Stop Jihad Store'and the aisle 5 comment and I do love Caulk.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Looking at the FFA website they seem to have a BIG problem with homosexuals and also an organisation that offers help and support to teens that think they may be gay.
With people like the FFA around not surprised teens need a support organisation.

religious-right-activists-slam-degrassi-transgender-character

"MTV airs a free promo for PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) on DeGrassi which directs kids to an organization that will encourage our youth to embrace a different sexual identity that may stay with them for life," the organization said

and this
The FFA has also attacked Campbell’s for making halal soups
Really!!!!!

Did Lowes and the other corporations that allegedly pulled their advertising ever look to see what sort of an organisation the FFA was?
Didn't they for one moment think that they may offend just as many people by giving in to the FFA as if they had said no to them?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Just change Muslim to Jewish or black or catholic or mormon.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Looking at the FFA website they seem to have a BIG problem with homosexuals and also an organisation that offers help and support to teens that think they may be gay.
With people like the FFA around not surprised teens need a support organisation.

religious-right-activists-slam-degrassi-transgender-character

"MTV airs a free promo for PFLAG (Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) on DeGrassi which directs kids to an organization that will encourage our youth to embrace a different sexual identity that may stay with them for life," the organization said

and this
The FFA has also attacked Campbell’s for making halal soups
Really!!!!!

Did Lowes and the other corporations that allegedly pulled their advertising ever look to see what sort of an organisation the FFA was?
Didn't they for one moment think that they may offend just as many people by giving in to the FFA as if they had said no to them?
Finally someone else sees the bigger issue here than the program content.

Its a group trying to influence what we watch on TV. They also claiming their reason the show 'The Playboy Club' was canceled.
If a show doesnt have advertisers then it going to be canceled thay is FFA goal and to influence what we watch on TV or what that school teach and protesting Gay Days at Disney World.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:01 PM

763 posts, read 822,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
You are badly informed if you think the KKK (or it's equivalent-maybe the Florida Family association!) doesn't exist.

No- I agree that you can't compare England and Turkey-for many many reasons ie size of the country,population, culture etc etc.

I think you need to be clear whether you're talking about Turks or Arabs.
Yes I can imagine the Arabs would spit on you-I was spat on as a nurse in the UK by a patient from the arab emirates merely because he didn't want to do his breathing exercises and I was a woman asking him.
I first visited Turkey 46 years ago with my parents and we took the channel ferry to France and then drove to Turkey-including Istanbul.
My parents never had problems with the attitude of the Turks.
You should also know that there are many people from Europe, including the UK and Germany who own homes and/or live in Turkey and it has been a very popular holiday destination for Europeans since the early 90s.
In some ways they have adapted to the ways of Turkey and are accepted by the people, but I doubt that many have converted to Muslims.

In the most recent poll conducted by Sabanci University, 83% of Turks revealed they were Muslim. Of that, 16% said they were "extremely religious", 39% saying they were "somewhat religious", and 32% saying they were "not religious". 3% of Turks declare themselves with no religious beliefs.
Hardly a country of Muslim extremists.

As for France some of the rudest, most unfriendly, most arrogant people I've met have been French. You know what they say about the French- don't worry if they don't seem to like you as a foreigner-many of them don't even like themselves!
I am aware that Turkey is a popular destination. I have spent several holidays there, Ismir, Kusadasi, and the resort of Bodrum. It is one of my favorite countries. It is a huge holiday destination and Europeans do own homes there. That is why Turkey has become a more westernized destination. It has opened up substantially to tourism in the resort areas. You have to understand that it is quite different in areas away from the resorts. The country is 98 percent Muslim and they are very strict. I don't really care about the poll you mentioned. It is skewed. If you walked across the Bosphorus Bridge into the Asian/Muslim section of Istanbul, you would immediately be harrassed if you did not conform to customary attire. I didn't dream this up. It wasn't forty five since I was there. It was eight months ago. Hopefully you realize that many resorts on the Mediterranean coast owned by Arab nations have permitted Europeans and Americans to drink and enjoy such activities like drinking that are not permitted within the Muslim religion and are severely punishable for their own citizens.

I like the Turkish people generally. I don't see how it could be conceived that I don't like anyone just because of my postings. People tend to see what they want to see.

Why would I not think the KKK existed? I am sure they do. So does the Nazi party in the U.S., but I don't think they have much credibility.

Finally, Turkey has a population 53 million. England has a population of 70 million so I woud say that they are comparable in population.

I have been to Paris a couple of hundreds of times. I have never had a probem with the French. I suppose it is because I don't go there with a preconceived idea that they are rude, etc. Fortunately for him, my dad was with me and pulled me off. But that is another story. Nevertheless, anything that I have said that you conceive as a personal attack on any particular native of any country is mistaken. That has not been my intent. However, your comments concerning the French are very prejudical and are not the experiences of many others, including myself. If you care to lecture me again, make sure that you have a clean slate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte