Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 07:19 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,145,416 times

Advertisements

Talk to me about Charlotte's nature preserves -- mainly I'm interested in hiking opportunities, but I'd also like to hear about anything else they have to offer.

I've been hiking at Latta Plantation Nature Preserve and McDowell Nature Preserve and love both of them.

Reedy Creek looks like another gem, but I haven't had a chance to get out there yet.

According to the Mecklenburg County Parks and Rec website the other ones that have hiking trails are Evergreen Nature Preserve , RibbonWalk Nature Preserve, and Rural Hill. Rural Hill seems particularly interesting to me. The parks and rec website says it has a 2.5 mile trail that loops around the perimeter of the historic farm, but the Rural Hill website mentions an "extensive network of trails". Anyone been out there and done any hiking -- how extensive is this network of trails?

I'd also love any first-hand accounts of Evergreen and RibbonWalk. I see that aren't a whole lot of hiking trails at either, but how are the few miles that are there? Are they kept up pretty nicely? How are the surrounding neighborhoods? Good places to waste some time or better to just play at the other ones I mentioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:53 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Default My favorite is...

McDowell Nature Center and Preserve - Charlotte Culture Guide

Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 AM

^Mine, too -- but I suspect if I lived closer to Latta that it would give McDowell a run for its money. I just love that there's so much to do at Latta -- the trails, the historic plantation, the raptor center, the nature center.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
I have hiked several times at ribbonwalk.
nice little park , mainly went during winter to look at the beautiful
groves of beech trees.
while the neighborhoods around might not be the best I never felt unsafe , it is
a very peaceful park. a little out of the way.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:15 PM

488 posts, read 799,329 times
Rural Hill is wonderful - different terrain and lovely views. I rate it higher than Latta but that is just me :-)

Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I have hiked several times at ribbonwalk.
nice little park , mainly went during winter to look at the beautiful
groves of beech trees.
while the neighborhoods around might not be the best I never felt unsafe , it is
a very peaceful park. a little out of the way.
Good to know, maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Rural Hill is wonderful - different terrain and lovely views. I rate it higher than Latta but that is just me :-)
Cool -- from I've seen on the internet it's looks like a pretty wonderful place. Can you tell me anything about the trails? Is it just the one that loops the perimeter of the farm, or is there an "extensive network"?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,973 times
If you travel to the end of Neck Road , there is a carpark where you can hike several trails. I haven't been since 2008 , but the area is at the absolute end of the road. When you pass Rural Hill , you will come to a 90 degree curve/left turn. Take the left , it passes a house , and follow the gravel road until you reach the lot on the left. There are trails out there , birdwatching , and other things to do there. Lookup 'Cowans Ford Waterfowl Refuge' for detailed info.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 AM

8 posts, read 15,674 times
Default RibbonWalk and Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Anyone been out there and done any hiking -- how extensive is this network of trails?

I'd also love any first-hand accounts of Evergreen and RibbonWalk. I see that aren't a whole lot of hiking trails at either, but how are the few miles that are there? Are they kept up pretty nicely? How are the surrounding neighborhoods? Good places to waste some time or better to just play at the other ones I mentioned?
RibbonWalk Nature Preserve is a nice place, is fairly well-kept, and has several trails, although they do get muddy at times. This is in the Derita-Statesville neighborhood; near the I-85/I-77 interchange. I've never had any issues with the neighborhood here. The ponds in the preserve are peaceful and there are some benches here and there for bird watchers. One thing that you will notice here immediately is the airplane noise - depending on the landing configuration at CLT. The low-flying planes can spoil the peace and quiet of the woods pretty easily. If you go here when the winds are out of the north, it will be much a much quieter experience!

Evergreen Nature Preserve is a small place and not well known, but has a quiet spot in a clearing where you can watch birds. The preserve is next to Sheffield Neighborhood Park. Also, the Edwards Branch wetlands area has a deck bridge for watching blue herrons, and other water birds. The hiking trail here is pretty short, but is well cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte