Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:27 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times

Advertisements

Heard on the news this morning, that a citizens' group has formed and they want to succeed from Charlotte. Taxation without representation is a huge issue for them. Light rail in Charlotte, Time-Warner Cable Arena, and other projects passed by the city has upset this group.

Do you think this will be bad publicity for the city? Can there be a way that the city can pass projects and continue to progress and become a world-class city, while meeting the needs of the strong tax base of the wealth in South Charlotte? Your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
We all want to succeed. Maybe they want to secede.

There is representation. It's just ineffective and out of touch.

What needs does the strong tax base of the wealth in South Charlotte have that others do not?

Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 AM

159 posts, read 335,228 times
I commute to Ballantyne everyday, from a transportation point of view South Charlotte has the best roads, all major thoroughfares are tree lined, and lacks of pot holes. Light Rail funding isn't a Charlotte jurisdiction, it's a county wide sales tax. IMO it a ploy that Bill James started to get more GOP representation because the City Council is overly Democratic. The only way GOP can set fore its agenda in the area is to have its own representation away from the City Council.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:51 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
County residents (including South Charlotte residents) overwhelmingly supported the 1/2 cent sales tax for light rail in 2007.

Indeed the roads and other public facilities in South Charlotte are the nicest in the city. These folks are fools.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM

841 posts, read 1,432,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
County residents (including South Charlotte residents) overwhelmingly supported the 1/2 cent sales tax for light rail in 2007.

Indeed the roads and other public facilities in South Charlotte are the nicest in the city. These folks are fools.
I would say that the schools are the biggest issue with those in S CLT.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
I would say that the schools are the biggest issue with those in S CLT.
Separating from the city would do nothing to change the school situation as the system is countywide. The schools in South Charlotte are the best anyway - Myers Park, Providence, Ardrey Kell and South Meck.

The undercurrent through the comments I hear from "smart" supporters is some misplaced envy that their city taxes might somehow, somewhere help a poor person. (Even though an incredibly small portion of their taxes actually go to any type of welfare program)

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Separating from the city would do nothing to change the school situation as the system is countywide. The schools in South Charlotte are the best anyway - Myers Park, Providence, Ardrey Kell and South Meck.

The undercurrent through the comments I hear from "smart" supporters is some misplaced envy that their city taxes might somehow, somewhere help a poor person. (Even though an incredibly small portion of their taxes actually go to any type of welfare program)
I think schools are the big issue, too, and can't see how this movement will ever gain much momentum.

But I feel you are dismissing concerns as frivolous or self-serving by essentially saying that folks who may be wondering about their tax dollars are expressing concern b/c they don't want to help "a poor person." You say the portion is "incredibly small." I guess it depends on what you define as social welfare programs as to how you are totaling up those dollars, Coped.

Not trying to argue here . . . just pointing that out. As I said - don't think this movement will gain much momentum.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You say the portion is "incredibly small." I guess it depends on what you define as social welfare programs as to how you are totaling up those dollars, Coped.
I think that's the core issue. Folks who define anything that benefits them and folks like them as legitimate government expenditures and anything that benefits those unlike them as "welfare" in a derogatory sense.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
I think that's the core issue. Folks who define anything that benefits them and folks like them as legitimate government expenditures and anything that benefits those unlike them as "welfare" in a derogatory sense.
I think the folks earning the money that is taxed and then disbursed to those who are not earning the money should have every reason to question the success of the programs and the use of the tax dollars.

It would be foolish not to do so. Bureaucracies create programs to self-sustain (so bureaucrats can keep their jobs). This is not a new theory; this is just how the system works. Just as you feel that folks are questioning things from a derogatory point of view, others may feel folks who don't question are either too lazy to do their research or must be benefitting somehow from that system.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 PM

85 posts, read 185,104 times
Define World Class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: