Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times

Advertisements

I "cut the cord" and only buy Internet service from TWC. I have an antenna that picks up 30 digital channels in Charlotte and use Netflix & Amazon streaming for any TV show that I want to see. Saving me over $100/month. If you want a DVR for the antenna, you can get a Tivo that also streams.

TWC's Internet service is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 05:37 AM

291 posts, read 870,157 times
We had U-verse for a year and it worked great - then their internet service got terrible and just didn't work for hours at a time - we finally switched to Time Warner - same products were $60 a month cheaper.....we like their internet much better, and agree that the TW dvr situation is extremely annoying! Not nearly as user friendly and can't record as many shows as U-verse.... but U-verse service was AWFUL compared to Time Warner - they ended up trying to charge us over $300 for "repairs" to service that just didn't work! We fought them to the top and got a refund!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNesters View Post
We had U-verse for a year and it worked great - then their internet service got terrible and just didn't work for hours at a time - we finally switched to Time Warner - same products were $60 a month cheaper.....we like their internet much better, and agree that the TW dvr situation is extremely annoying! Not nearly as user friendly and can't record as many shows as U-verse.... but U-verse service was AWFUL compared to Time Warner - they ended up trying to charge us over $300 for "repairs" to service that just didn't work! We fought them to the top and got a refund!
Posts like yours prove the point that no matter the service, someone hates it. I was very pleased with Dish until I tried to add a couple channels. This resulted in dozens of hours on the phone, wild swings in my bill, and a year later I still don't have all the channels I want, even though I have one of their top-tier packages. Most of the problems stemmed from their reps not knowing what the packages included, and that somehow notes from previous conversations weren't available for review.

I did notice that they could add a charge to my account, and an hour later I could see it online. But credits could take a couple billing cycles to show up. Interesting.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 AM

The fundamental problem with all the providers is they force you to buy a basic package of "must have" channels before they let you buy anything else. These basic channels, once the staple of cable TV, have been cheaped down into an endless train of scripted "reality show" programming, advertising, pundit opinion paraded as news, and sports.

None of these providers will alter this model so they use other gimmicks, to get you to bite. DVRs, HD, bundles, etc. This is why a lot of people hate them. They are paying a lot of money for this treatment. This is why a growing number, such as myself, have bailed from this and moved on.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The fundamental problem with all the providers is they force you to buy a basic package of "must have" channels before they let you buy anything else. These basic channels, once the staple of cable TV, have been cheaped down into an endless parade of scripted "reality show" programming, advertising, pundit opinion paraded as news, and sports.

None of these providers will alter this model so they use other gimmicks, to get you to bite. DVRs, HD, bundles, etc. This is why a lot of people hate them but still watch them. Others, such as myself, have bailed from this and moved on.
I'd move on except half the shows I like aren't on OTA. Using a computer to watch TV is not practical for me at all. So if I want to make the best use of TV viewing, I need a service. Dish is the best one for me, all things considered.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM

I recommending looking at what you can get with a Roku. That along with OTA gave me 95% of the things that I watched on Dish, and also gave me a whole lot more that I can't get on Dish.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 AM

291 posts, read 870,157 times
Quote:
I recommending looking at what you can get with a Roku. That along with OTA gave me 95% of the things that I watched on Dish, and also gave me a whole lot more that I can't get on Dish.
You have really come up with some excellent ideas....thank you!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
How would you feed that to five TVs, have a DVR, and be able to control the setup from each of those TVs? That's the problem with any of these ideas. I'm a single guy with 5 TVs.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:26 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,159 times
Hello.
Anyone from TW management listening?

Old 04-06-2012, 06:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
Hello.
Anyone from TW management listening?
They gave their usual response of "reboot it". I'm closer to figuring out how to fix the problem. I was watching a recording and then set a one time recording to start during the time I would still be watching playback.

The DVR did not switch to the program that was being recorded so the problem may be isolated to ones set up a series recordings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: