Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 AM

152 posts, read 622,911 times

Advertisements

If you live on a cove are the bugs really bad ? A realtor told me that the lake is treated once a week against mosquitoes so it keeps them getting out of control. They love my husband and unfortunately the feeling is not returned..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
How would an entire lake be treated without affecting other wildlife? I think your realtor is pulling your leg. I'm being nice.

A buddy has a lakehouse in Sherrill's Ford and I've never noticed any mosquito issue there. But his part of the cove gets a lot of wake action, which I'm sure makes a difference in mosquito reproduction. A cove that is mostly still would be a lot more conducive to breeding.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM

152 posts, read 622,911 times
I thought as I was typing it sounds too good to be true!! Have to invest in some serious bug spray.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,556,288 times
We have a boat on the lake but live off the lake. Our house is back up by a Greenway wet land. We have Killingsworth spray every month and have no issues with mosquitos. I presume they could do the same thing for you. They spray the trees and the grass.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy02 View Post
If you live on a cove are the bugs really bad ? A realtor told me that the lake is treated once a week against mosquitoes so it keeps them getting out of control. They love my husband and unfortunately the feeling is not returned..
Treated the LAKE for mosquitos? and you thought that even *may have* been true? lolololol. no, 'tis not true.

I lived on the lake for several years in the early 90s (off Brawley School Road) and never noticed they were particularly bad. Of course you can spray your yard yourself, and it does work... but personally I am wary of what other effects the continual application of pesticides may have. You see fewer mosquitos, but you also may see fewer butterflies and ladybugs too. Plus, who knows about accumulation in the soil, whether it harms earthworms... Plus there are a lot of anecdotal observations from healthcare providers about chronic exposure to pesticides. The payoff isn't worth it in my opinion. I've found that a candle and a ceiling fan on the porch is really a pretty good repellant.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 AM

186 posts, read 436,648 times
Perhaps the realtor was referencing this

Mosquito Control -Duke Energy

Most days in the Lake Norman area, especially right on the water there is at least a breeze if not wind. Very few days is the air completely still. This combined with the movement of the water (remember Lake Norman is really a river) on its own and with boaters etc would keep mosquitoes at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte