Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 10:09 AM

33 posts, read 50,912 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm contemplating moving to Charlotte from Dallas and am wondering if I will like it. I'd like to get some natives' opinions. For background, I love heat and sunshine (I've also lived in Florida, left Seattle due to this, and would never go back to my native Michigan and have to deal with the snow). I would love to be by a beach, prefer high-rise apartments with things to do in walking distance, and hate traffic. The one thing I would change about Dallas is the sprawl - I miss my downtown living/working environment from Seattle, but wouldn't give up the better weather here for it. I'm not too much into the club/bar scene, but having a place with lots of active meetup groups or other ways to meet people and apartment complexes where people don't just keep to themselves would be nice.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,858 times
Most of the neighborhoods within a few miles of uptown will have more sociability than the outer suburbs. When people live several miles from the city center, they tend to want to keep to themselves and enjoy the quiet.

Charlotte has chilly, but pleasant winters, and does not have the constant overcast skies of New England or Seattle. I'd describe it as "partly sunny" most of the time. There are occasional cold snaps, but even in January there will be many days it gets into the mid 50's and it's pleasant enough to go walking in a light coat.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
If you don't like Dallas due to it's sprawl, then you won't like Charlotte for the same reason. There isn't much difference. I think Charlotte has better weather than Dallas and of course, it's not in Texas.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,867 times
Charlotte has grown into a metro of several villages. I think that it has done well with its control of sprawl. When cities grow, sprawl occurs. Charlotte strives to not be like Atlanta which is known for tremendous sprawl.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:41 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Charlotte has grown into a metro of several villages. I think that it has done well with its control of sprawl. When cities grow, sprawl occurs. Charlotte strives to not be like Atlanta which is known for tremendous sprawl.
Charlotte strives not to be like Atlanta and at the same time, uses Atlanta as a benchmark for progress in certain areas. I'm not sure if I agree that Charlotte has "done well" with its control of sprawl, but like Atlanta, it's doing quite well with urban infill.

To the OP, you say you'd like to be by the beach. You realize Charlotte isn't coastal, right? Charlotte is much more like Dallas than Seattle in terms of urban environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte