Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:18 PM

372 posts, read 659,482 times

Advertisements

Rumors are that the Panthers are a potential team to head to L.A. When the Mayor of LA was here for the DNC, he made a few overtures to the Big Cat regarding a move. Scary thing is that since Richardson "fired" his sons a couple of years ago, there has been no public knowledge of a successor when Richardson (who is 76 yrs old with a heart transplant) eventually passes away. Could this happen just like the Hornets????

Charlotte Chamber chief: Potential Panthers relocation 'scares the hell out of me' - Charlotte Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:28 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Very interesting...it would suck if the Panthers left....but they definitely are in the mix of vulnerable franchises...Buffalo is another and so is Jacksonville....

Jerry is very long in the tooth and he won't live forever...

It seems like we have the same situation as we did w/Bruton Smith steamrolling the town of Concord to get what he wants..

just substitute "Bruton Smith" with "Jerry Richardson" and substitute "Concord" with "Charlotte" and you have the same situation...

lol

Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 PM

372 posts, read 659,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Very interesting...it would suck if the Panthers left....but they definitely are in the mix of vulnerable franchises...Buffalo is another and so is Jacksonville....

Jerry is very long in the tooth and he won't live forever...

It seems like we have the same situation as we did w/Bruton Smith steamrolling the town of Concord to get what he wants..

just substitute "Bruton Smith" with "Jerry Richardson" and substitute "Concord" with "Charlotte" and you have the same situation...

lol
The main issue is that the Panthers own their stadium. They are not tied into any lease and therefore would not suffer a penalty for leaving. Losing the Panthers would be brutal for our image. The Panthers (for better or worse), do give us exposure nationally. The loss of the Hornets did not sting (pun intended) as much as losing the Panthers would.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
The main issue is that the Panthers own their stadium. They are not tied into any lease and therefore would not suffer a penalty for leaving. Losing the Panthers would be brutal for our image. The Panthers (for better or worse), do give us exposure nationally. The loss of the Hornets did not sting (pun intended) as much as losing the Panthers would.
I don't disagree w/what you are saying...

My guess would be adding on to the hotel tax along w/soaking the fans for higher PSL costs will be the way they will go if it comes to this.....

I may be completely off base, but I'm just thinking of ways how the Jets/Giants did it for MetLife Stadium....

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
L.A. is finally going to get a team? For realsies this time?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
It would be my guess that if these "rumors" were true, then it's nothing more than a ruse to extort yet more money from the taxpayers. (either here or at their destination city). Professional sports has become a big scam.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It would be my guess that if these "rumors" were true, then it's nothing more than a ruse to extort yet more money from the taxpayers. (either here or at their destination city). Professional sports has become a big scam.
I do think most people realize that professional sports is a business.

However for many people, they are willing to pay for this entertainment, whether its jersey sales, or tickets to a ballgame or whatever.....

Its supply and demand pretty simple. The NFL receives ratings that no other sport tops..(well maybe world series games in places like NY/Boston/St Louis..) Its the most popular sport in the US.

I don't like taxes of any kind to subsidize sports, however going the route of a hotel tax and making PSL's more expensive to get to the number seems like the most palatable option...

Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Currently, the only teams as possible candidates are the San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Jacksonville Jaguars and Oakland Raiders. I doubt the Panthers will leave.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:02 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I do think most people realize that professional sports is a business.

However for many people, they are willing to pay for this entertainment, whether its jersey sales, or tickets to a ballgame or whatever.....

Its supply and demand pretty simple. The NFL receives ratings that no other sport tops..(well maybe world series games in places like NY/Boston/St Louis..) Its the most popular sport in the US.
Supply & demand economics means business is allowed to fail. When failure is socialized, i.e. government is needed to force the public to support it, then it's a scam. IMO, the NFL has let salaries get too high and thus can only support the salaries on the backs of the taxpayer. Let the "demand" support the economics and you will see these salaries come down. And IMO, end up with a better sport too.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Supply & demand economics means business is allowed to fail. When failure is socialized, i.e. government is needed to force the public to support it, then it's a scam. IMO, the NFL has let salaries get too high and thus can only support the salaries on the backs of the taxpayer. Let the "demand" support the economics and you will see these salaries come down. And IMO, end up with a better sport too.
Wow, you're all over the map but I'll start w/the easy ones...

Salaries too high? Who has guaranteed contracts the NFL or MLB?

Please answer that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte