Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 AM

3 posts, read 3,971 times

Advertisements

I have a violin inscribed "Jas H Ingram, Wadesboro, NC 1910". I'm trying to find out something about who made it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlclem View Post
I have a violin inscribed "Jas H Ingram, Wadesboro, NC 1910". I'm trying to find out something about who made it.
The Violin Shoppe on 7th Street is the only place I know of that might be able to help you.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
I have an idea of who you might want to ask...

Up in Galax, VA (home of the annual "Fiddler's Convention") there is a great little shop specializing in fiddles. I would give them a call and see if the name means anything to them. Music Store Virginia, instrument supplies, bluegrass and oldtime assessories southwest va music shop, Galax, fiddles, banjos, guitars, mandolins, strings, tunners and capos. Barr's Fiddle Shop Stevie Barr

I'm bettting given the date on the instrument and the area it comes from, it's not considered a "violin" but rather a "fiddle"

Come back and let us know what you learn!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
One question: Is the inscription on a label inside of the sound holes? If so, that should be your maker there.

James H. Ingram shows up in the 1910 census in Wadesboro as a 48-year-old manufacturer of furniture (I think, the second word after manufacturer is hard to make out but my best guest is furniture). He was originally from Tennessee. He also has a son listed as a carpenter (I can't make out the name), so it's likely that someone in the family made it themselves. But mass-produced European violins were also really popular in all regions at this time. Given the carpentry and furniture skill sets and that the guy was from Tennessee, though, I'm willing to be it might be handmade. Definitely ask the fiddle shop, too.

Tried posting the pdf of the census record but even as a jpg it won't let me.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 AM

279 posts, read 888,009 times
Quote:
Wow,that's awesome.We have hunting property around Wadesboro and the road name is Ingram Mtn Rd.The Ingram family are big land owners around Wadesboro,Lilesville. I know quite a few people born and raised in the area.I'll try to see what I can find out for you.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,971 times
The inscription is on a label inside the sound holes. It may be a "fiddle", but I played it as a violin in the Anderson (SC) Symphony while in school.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The inscription is on a label inside the sound holes. It may be a "fiddle", but I played it as a violin in the Anderson (SC) Symphony while in school.
He's probably your maker but I would take it to the Violin Shoppe to have someone take an in person look at it and maybe send an email to the fiddle shop with a picture. There's no difference in a fiddle or a violin. It's in how you play it. I wouldn't assume just because it was a Southerner who made it that it was used as a fiddle.

Here's the link to his census record from 1910. If you're interested, you can try to find him in the other censuses too.

- Ancestry.com

Old 05-23-2012, 11:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,161,253 times
A simple google turns up quite a bit of info, including a copy of the patent for his "radiating" violin construction technique, and an old trade publication article about his violins.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
A simple google turns up quite a bit of info, including a copy of the patent for his "radiating" violin construction technique, and an old trade publication article about his violins.
Awesome. I didn't even think of Google for a name that seems so obscure.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:01 PM

28 posts, read 57,808 times
If its ever been within 20 yards of a banjo (or banjo player) its a fiddle. Sounds like a gem, take it to a BG show and find a good fiddle player and see what he or she thinks after playing it. BG musicians are extremely approachable after the show. GL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte