Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,689 times

Advertisements

Developers will give a presentation on the new mall and other new commercial development planned at the Steele Creek Residents Association meeting on February 28. Transportation planners also will talk about the future of Hwy 160. See Steele Creek Residents Association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
This is so hot it's not on the presses yet. Basically Tanger wants 5 million in tax incentives to build. The land isn't in the city yet but it's expected to be so they want it from both the city and the county.

Status quo? IDK. But since this thread is here I thought I'd post it.

The Naked City Blog: Tanger outlet mall wants public money

Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM

545 posts, read 594,824 times
If the developer can show that they are bringing in ALOT of new tenants not represented in this market, I would be reluctant to support incentives of this magnitude!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Wow, Tax incentives for minimum wage jobs (after construction).
The Tanger malls just dont seem to bring enough foot traffic other than holidays.
The one in Gaffney, and Wytheville are like ghost towns outside of holiday seasons.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The Tanger malls just dont seem to bring enough foot traffic other than holidays.
The one in Gaffney, and Wytheville are like ghost towns outside of holiday seasons.
Watched the rezoning hearing tonight. The CDOT expects 22,000 car trips per day (average) to be generated by the site.

That's a lot of car exhaust. Maybe they can hold out for a streetcar.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM

529 posts, read 1,203,957 times
Cool Pa pa pa pokerface pa pa pokerface

Just say 'NO.'

What're they going to do - Not build the mall? Ri-iight.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Public/Private Partnership = Public hands over taxes for the enrichment of private concerns.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I agree with your line of thinking, Sunny.

If I want to shop at Tanger, I visit the one in Blowing Rock (or stop in while driving to Orlando). Their stores do not lend themselves to "regular" shopping. Sure, Ralph Lauren (once a season? 2 x a season?) and Chico's (once a month during Spring-Fall?) . . . I dunno . . . I am in BR off and on all year and don't stop by that mall even 4 x a year. Sales at Macy's, Belk, Dillards are going to put things at a competitive price (and with seasonal sales, often a much better price) and they are all at SouthPark. And with flagship stores such as Eddie Bauer, RL, Anne Klein, etc, being very common at malls . . . I am just not seeing the traffic they are projecting. Van Heusen? Tommy Hilfiger? Izod? Meeeeh. Again, carried at other stores.

What is the average shopper going to be going there to find? Coach is made in China, so I no longer even buy their products.

Tanger doesn't get me all tingly . . . really, none of the outlet malls do anymore. It is a 20th Century concept that I think folks are actually kinda tired of. And the open concept sounds great on paper (and visually, I like it!) but during bad weather (wh/ can include oppressive heat) . . . it really isn't a fun outing.

It would be a mistake to give a bunch of concessions to "lure" an outlet mall to Charlotte.

I hate to say it, but the worst thing Pineville could have done was get Carolina Place Mall. Look at the income map - that whole area has become low rent and trashy, despite the mall and CMC-Pineville, and it is spreading right up (and in some cases over) to the Charlotte city limits. Crime, stretched police force . . . not a good thing.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Let's not right off the incentive of having a new bottleneck on 485.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
More importantly, this project will provide jobs we desperately need and closer shopping (outlet or not) to those near this portion of 485.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte