Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 4,232 times

Advertisements

We have 2 young high schoolers who may possibly end up going to grad school, even med school. We are seeking to move to NC and let our kids complete high school in NC, attend undergrad and grad school in NC. We need a town that we can find work in also; I have been successful in new construction/real estate sales and my husband is a tennis pro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Hope you will have several years until the kids are ready for college. NC sees lots of folks that do this, and it is fine, except their residency restrictions are pretty tight..and fairly long term.

Good Luck.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondrakondra View Post
..... I have been successful in new construction/real estate sales and my husband is a tennis pro.
IMO you would have a very tough time here with these particular skills.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Why? There is still plenty of new construction being built here.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 PM

27 posts, read 59,216 times
I believe that you must be a resident od NC for two full years to get in state tuition. They require high school transcripts with proof of attending NC HS for junior and senior year.

My daughter is 16 and we are planning on moving from NJ to NC this summer. We are looking in Davidson area. Schools seem great and looks like a very nice area. We are leaving tomorrow to look around Good luck with your decision

Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-m-fan-of-life View Post
I believe that you must be a resident od NC for two full years to get in state tuition. They require high school transcripts with proof of attending NC HS for junior and senior year.

My daughter is 16 and we are planning on moving from NJ to NC this summer. We are looking in Davidson area. Schools seem great and looks like a very nice area. We are leaving tomorrow to look around Good luck with your decision
12 months.

I don't think there is a requirement to prove you went to highschool for two years here but transcripts would likely be accepted as proof of residency since students applying in their senior year in highschool are not likely to have registered to vote or pay taxes.

However I cannot find anything to back that up.

Quick Links - NC Residency or if you really want to get into it: http://www.uncw.edu/admissions/docum...l_Aug_2011.pdf

Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Why? There is still plenty of new construction being built here.
nothing near what it was 5 years ago. There are still plenty of eager, unemployed construction industry folks here with connections.

of course, if you are a superstar or occupy a particularly useful niche you may have an easier time...

Old 12-05-2012, 07:26 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Be sure to read the fine print of all the regulations for getting in-state residency very carefully. Because we have the near the least expensive tuition in the country, the state is very strict. I know that for independent adults it is 12 months after determining permanent residency, which is working full-time, signing a lease, or starting a mortgage. It may be different for children.

But I wouldn't limit your kid's grad-school options to NC. In most fields other than law, business, or medicine, the school should be paying you for your research, which in that case in-state tuition would not matter. And the good law, business and medical schools here are almost as expensive as going out of state somewhere.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
Yes it depends on what your kids will be studying. If they are in science or engineering, they should be able to get a full ride through grad school by being a TA or RA - for out-of-state schools too.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,391,960 times
I think real estate would be difficult to move in down here as there are so many realtors, and many have gotten out of the field due to recession. There are many construction people with not enough work here too.
As far as tennis pro, Tennis is very big in Charlotte probably the biggest market outside of Atlanta. I've played 50 yrs and D1 and captain many teams here so I peobably have a good perspective. There are many competing Pros here so it depends how good of teacher, personality, self starter you are. In the current economy I would think that NC move without jobs would be risky unless you have alot of money saved up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte