Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:02 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Just curious about anyone else being extremely nervous about the whole concept of packing up your lives and moving to a brand new place?
I know we did it years ago, but then we were young, free and single. But now, we are in our 40's, two children, and care more that it be the right descision.
Our reasons to get off Long Island are that
1. it is very very expensive to live here.
2.We are tired of being self employed and working 60 hours a week.
3. Our school district isnt too good so the kids go to Catholic, in NC they would go to public school.
4. We would be able to be mortgage free with a little more than $10 in our back pocket.
5. Dh could get a job with his present company, wages would be less, but out costs would be less also.

While I am the person who can organize everything and is more positive etc, dh is more of the emotional one and negative one. So in one way we want to move more than anything, the upheavel etc is what scares us I pressume.

Anyone else in the same situation?
thanks
dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 07:17 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,939 times
Keep it positive! I did it a little less than 2 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did for my family and I. I was scared and happy all at once. Once we settled in my nerves subsided and I started to really appreciate our new surroundings. When you move into your new home and start to unpack you will feel great relief. Getting everything back in order is like taking back the control you feel you loose during any big change. I wish you an easy trasition and many years of happiness here!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 AM

483 posts, read 1,567,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
Just curious about anyone else being extremely nervous about the whole concept of packing up your lives and moving to a brand new place?
I know we did it years ago, but then we were young, free and single. But now, we are in our 40's, two children, and care more that it be the right descision.
3. Our school district isnt too good so the kids go to Catholic, in NC they would go to public school.
4. We would be able to be mortgage free with a little more than $10 in our back pocket.
5. Dh could get a job with his present company, wages would be less, but out costs would be less also.

While I am the person who can organize everything and is more positive etc, dh is more of the emotional one and negative one. So in one way we want to move more than anything, the upheavel etc is what scares us I pressume.

thanks
dorothy
The entire time I was still living on Long Island, cleaning out the junk and getting things ready for the move, it didn't phase me at all. When it first hit me was when we drove off our driveway for the last time. I thought to myself....'am I doing the right thing'? Then the next morning after sleeping at my parent's house and we were getting ready to leave, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was extremely emotional and because it didn't phase me earlier, I wasn't prepared. That's why in one of my earlier posts, I had mentioned that you have to be emotional prepared because it will be a very emotional and stressful time. On the other hand, you have to keep in focus that you are doing this move for the best of your family, so in some way, you have to get beyond that. I've been down here now for just over 2 weeks and I haven't even flinched. It seems as though I've always been here. And if anyone wants to visit, the plane ride itself is just a little over an hour. No one can expect that a move from one state to another is going to be easy, especially the fact that the state you're moving to is not within the tri-state area. But you'll get beyond that and there are many northerners down here so if you do move into a community that does have a lot of northerners, you may not feel all alone. And everyone down here is extremely friendly. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:09 AM

293 posts, read 959,101 times
We have been planning this trip for almost a year now and I have been nervous ever since! Not so much for myself, but for the kids, even though they seem like they are looking forward to it. It's just a mother's natural reaction, but I'm sure they will be just fine. I have lived on LI my whole life and now with a family with 2 kids we just can't get ahead. Not to mention the fact that we do want a different lifestyle. For those who have never lived on LI, you don't realize that it can be very stressful. We are looking forward to a slower pace to try to enjoy life a little. Life is too short. Why not take a chance.. moving may be the answer...maybe not. But we won't know until we do it. I have talked to many people who have made the move and they just love it. Hopefully we will be just a happy. Being nervous is natural, but go with an open mind and enjoy it!

Old 10-03-2006, 09:35 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
We did the same in 1998 -- we were both working full time in order to afford a small house in a great area. Both of our children were in daycare 10 hours a day and we figured there must be a better way.

My husband is in financial services and was able to get a job very quickly. We moved to South Charlotte first and now in Union County. I can honestly say there are no plans to go back to NY. We love it here, and I truly believe it's a better life for my children (now we have three). My parents ended up moving here soon after we did, as did my mother in law (no comment on that one

Take care, good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:00 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there

thanks
dorothy

I'm not too nervous, but my husband is and he's driving me nuts.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:52 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
At least you have a good excuse for your husband driving you nuts

Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
at least I am not the only one with a husband driving me NUTS. Maybe its a male thing???

My thing is that ; ok, I am the one dealing with builders, brokers, figuring out schools, researching things, will be the one packing, organizing, e-mailing, taking phone calls.

And he is at work!!!!! Oh yes, add work for me, homework with the kids, the house, groceries, laundry etc.

And he is at work!!! then he wonders why I am "moody""

Glad to see I am not alone
dorothy

Old 10-03-2006, 04:29 PM

201 posts, read 861,156 times
I have never been to NC but am commenting more on what you've said about being emotional, etc. That is so true. Moving is always emotional. Moving so far away is 10x worse because it is basically about the end of a chapter in your life and the beginning of another which is unknown to you.

We lived in the SF Bay Area and for those who know the area, well, it has all the classic issues - EXTREMELY high of living, super long work hours, traffic, people, etc. etc. So we decided that we would move away and chose Austin, TX for it. We had visited Austin several times and people would say it's nice, blah blah. So, we thought it would make a good home for us. We sold our home in CA and moved in 2003. It was very emotional for me for I LOVE CA dearly and if it weren't for all the issues and at the time, the tech/dot com meltdown really made it worse, I would not have considered moving. We lived in Austin for 2.5 years and did not like it. It was too confining a town/city. The weather turned out to be far too hot and humid for me and there weren't many great job opportunities. I did get a job there with a company but all in all, it isn't a place that is booming with amazing career opportunities like in CA or NY. People stay forever at their jobs because there aren't that many great ones to go around. We had a nice big house there but that was all there was. Everyone is so status quo and that city is basically a college town that is too immersed in the college itself. It seemed like every event would be held on that UT campus. It's like people there can't cut their apron springs from school! Very dysfunctional, IMO. I guess it wasn't a good sign when the jazz radio station turned into a religious station all in 1 day about 3 months after we moved there! Every time we drove to Houston or Dallas, it was like seeing civilization! In Houston/Dallas, it was awesome to be able to turn on the car radio and receive jazz music or that we could go to a live professional performing arts show year round or that you could get a direct flight from DFW/Bush to so many locations. Austin has some live music from garage bands but that's not my thing. So, we finally decided to move back to CA and sort of regroup to see what is next for us. We may move away again but not for the next few years and would take time to find that fit for us. I am not completely regretful that we moved for I've learned a great deal about me. I wish we did not choose Austin but then again, that too is a learning lesson so that we can choose better next time.

The most important thing about relocation is to not let others influence you. It may work for others but not for you; the town may work for others and not for you. For i.e. I know many who love Austin but I don't like it. The best thing to do is to go and visit, spend as much time as you can there, really be honest with yourself and see if it's for you. Do serious deep soul searching to figure out who you are and if the town/city you've chosen fits you. Are you ready for the change in lifestyle or just think you are? Do you really need to move or are you just in need of a vacation/break? The more hard hitting questions you ask yourself, the better it is. How important is having a successful career to you? Are you OK with taking a pay cut (typically moving out of places like NY, CA means a pay cut). Are you ready for the change in pace of life? Do you like cultural activities, i.e. major visual/performing arts and does the area have that?

Hope this helps!
Good luck with everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43 View Post
The entire time I was still living on Long Island, cleaning out the junk and getting things ready for the move, it didn't phase me at all. When it first hit me was when we drove off our driveway for the last time. I thought to myself....'am I doing the right thing'? Then the next morning after sleeping at my parent's house and we were getting ready to leave, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was extremely emotional and because it didn't phase me earlier, I wasn't prepared. That's why in one of my earlier posts, I had mentioned that you have to be emotional prepared because it will be a very emotional and stressful time. On the other hand, you have to keep in focus that you are doing this move for the best of your family, so in some way, you have to get beyond that. I've been down here now for just over 2 weeks and I haven't even flinched. It seems as though I've always been here. And if anyone wants to visit, the plane ride itself is just a little over an hour. No one can expect that a move from one state to another is going to be easy, especially the fact that the state you're moving to is not within the tri-state area. But you'll get beyond that and there are many northerners down here so if you do move into a community that does have a lot of northerners, you may not feel all alone. And everyone down here is extremely friendly. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

Last edited by speedoflight; 10-03-2006 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-03-2006, 04:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,295 times
I am nervious about moving mostly because I will have move down first then find a job which I think will be tough. Has anyone else done this?

But when I think about moving i get all happy and giddy in a way because I like it down there and I will be able to own my first house. Something you can't do on Long Island Unless you make over 200k a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte