Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2007, 02:06 PM

97 posts, read 370,120 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I need to get some advices from you.
I have a little one and this is his first year in school (daycare), since the holiday season is here, i am thinking about give his teachers giftcards. What is a good amt to put in in each? He has about 5-6 teachers who teaches him. what about the principle? Any suggestions/comments/advices are welcome!

thank you for your kind help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 03:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,358 times
I'm not sure about the amount to give a teacher. When my kids were young, I always baked something for each of the teachers: something like nut bread or banana bread. Or I bought some nuts or a box of candy. Perhaps the custom has changed nowadays. Do you feel comfortable asking another parent in the class? I know it's a sticky subject and differs from country to country. I compliment you for appreciating what the teacher does for you child. Teachers often don't feel appreciated.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,587 times
I've never heard of a gift for the principal. Five or six teachers is a lot! I would bake something like Barbj suggested. Or, you could get Blockbuster gift cards for $5 a piece and just put it in a small gift bag with a bag of popcorn, and maybe some movie candy.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
Ms. Charlotte has a great idea for the 5 - 6 teachers. What I have done in the past for the principal is to give a large box of chocolates for the Principal and office staff combined. I have seen others bring the principal a small Christmas Plant or a larger plant or big box of cookies for the principal and staff. This year, I'm giving the teachers (one each for my two children in elementary school) a $25.00 gift card and a book from the bookfair for the classroom. I will give the room moms and yard duties a $10 gift card each. HTH. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM

273 posts, read 1,339,200 times
whoa daycare has changed alot since I was that age lol. 5-6 teachers teaching him? And theres a principle? Daycare when i was that age was a room with 2 women and like 20 children and my mom dropped me off when she went to work and picked me up when she was free. We read, got read to, took naps, and had snack and play time.

Well either way, without knowing your financial situation and/or what these teachers are actually doing and how well they are doing it, it would be hard to say how much to put on the giftcards. At first when I read this, I thought the child was older and figured you were just being a kissa$$ so that your kid would get better grades, but then I read daycare lol so no competition there. I would say anywhere from $10-25 would be a great gesture and I'm sure no matter what amount, the teachers will appreciate it (or at least I hope so) I had a mother give me a 20 dollar Barnes and Noble gift card when i was teaching, b/c her daughter learned so much in my calculus class that she aced her math entrance exam for the Naval Academy. You must be a very giving person to do such a thing. I feel a little selfish as I know I probably would not be thinking of such things.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 PM

97 posts, read 370,120 times
Thank you all for the responses. The only reason I am asking is b/c one of my girl friend tells me she plans to give at least $50 each for her son's 6 teachers as her son stays or runs between 2 classes adjcent to each other. That would be too much for me ($250) for the teachers only, although I really really appreciated all of them... I kinda like the idea of baking some goodies... Anyway, thank you all for the tips!!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:34 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
I think you've settled on a good solution. Sometimes giving people very expensive gifts can make them feel uncomfortable. Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: