Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaBetaZeta View Post
I agree wholeheartedly; fortunately the US Constitution (Art. 1 Sec. 9 Clause 9) expressly forbids this medieval application of the law...can't criminalize the legal past. I can't even give my kids timeouts for the stupid stuff I let them do yesterday after my wife tells me it was wrong today!

Think anybody in the 277 loop or Raleigh knows this?

Can you paste the clause? I only see 8 clauses in that section.

Oh pet peeve but 277 is not a loop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 PM

71 posts, read 86,565 times
Default The 277 salient

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Can you paste the clause? I only see 8 clauses in that section.

Oh pet peeve but 277 is not a loop.
...or 277 Bulge in deference to the Boys of Bastogne.

Oops, I typo'ed and meant Clause 3 of sec. 9.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
...or 277 Bulge in deference to the Boys of Bastogne.

Oops, I typo'ed and meant Clause 3 of sec. 9.
There is case law that says otherwise. If you mean No Bill of Attainder then that's pretty much DOA. Ex post facto has been determined to be mostly for criminal issues. In order to make either of these stick you'd have to prove that a particular group was targeted.

5th amendment taking clause is also out. The only hope though a small one is due process but since they will allow appeals etc for years I don't think that will stick either.

Keep in mind that HOA law was changed to be retroactive to allow associations to levy fines when CCRs didn't allow this. This went to the state supreme court which found it not to be ex post facto.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
1/1/11.
Couldn't they just do a new revaluation based on current data and not have to deal with giving people refunds?

Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Couldn't they just do a new revaluation based on current data and not have to deal with giving people refunds?
Yes. But that won't satisfy those that want a refund. But I doubt "fixing" it will satisfy them either.

The goal appears to make sure no one is satisfied.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM

71 posts, read 86,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
My preference by far. It would still shortchange the overbilled for the past years, but even the score from day one going forward for everyone. Heck, you could even give the overbilled a credit for 2-3 years on their future taxes.

Sidebar: It can be argued that the only thing worse for the economic environment than the certainty of higher taxes is the UNCERTAINTY of what past, current and future taxes will be.

Imagine the sword hanging over your head at a closing, adding up the known costs, then having to worry your new house might get retroactively reassessed for thousands of dollars in taxes....sure, the previous owner should be held liable for those years, but he moved to Boca Raton or Brazil....good luck NC Legislature pinning it on that guy. Try adding clauses to the contract and see how many sales fall through....

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
My preference by far. It would still shortchange the overbilled for the past years, but even the score from day one going forward for everyone. Heck, you could even give the overbilled a credit for 2-3 years on their future taxes.

Sidebar: It can be argued that the only thing worse for the economic environment than the certainty of higher taxes is the UNCERTAINTY of what past, current and future taxes will be.

Imagine the sword hanging over your head at a closing, adding up the known costs, then having to worry your new house might get retroactively reassessed for thousands of dollars in taxes....sure, the previous owner should be held liable for those years, but he moved to Boca Raton or Brazil....good luck NC Legislature pinning it on that guy. Try adding clauses to the contract and see how many sales fall through....
Good post except the part of giving a credit. That would require this new bill to pass methinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: